Immigration to Alberta for H-1B Visa Holders in the USA

Working in Alberta

As of April 2009, the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program has introduced a US Visa Holder Category focused on H-1B Visa holders. This immigration program enables skilled foreign workers on US Work Visas to apply for Canadian Permanent Residence with the intention of working in Alberta. This program is designed fill occupational shortages in certain high priority employment sectors in Alberta. The US Visa Holder Category is a fast track application process resulting in Canadian Permanent Residence.

In order to qualify for the US Visa Holder Category, the following has to be met:

The Applicant must demonstrate an intention to live permanently in Alberta;

The Applicant must be currently working in the US and possess a visa in one of the following categories: H1-B, H1-B1, H-1C, E-3;

The Applicant must continue to hold the US work visa at the time a final decision is made on the application;

The Applicant must have a minimum of one year of work experience in the US while holding one of the qualifying visas; and

The Applicant’s current occupation must be on the Alberta “Occupations Under Pressure List.” There are currently some 80 occupations on the list. The general categories of listed occupations include:

  • Information Technology Occupations
  • Management Occupations
  • Business, Finance and Administration Occupation
  • Natural and Applied Sciences and Related Occupations
  • Health Occupations
  • Occupations in Social Science, Education, Government Service and Religion
  • Occupations in Art, Culture, Recreation and Sport
  • Sales and Service Occupations
  • Occupations in the Primary Industry
  • Occupations in Processing, Manufacturing and Utilities

For more information on the Alberta US Visa Holders Category contact Niren and Associates Immigration Lawyers at 416 410 7484 or email us at

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Ram

    how much do you charge for canadian green card.

    • You would have to contact our office at 416 410 7484 to inquire after we assess your specific situation.

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago