Helpful Tips for Dentists Who Plan to Apply for an H-1B Visa

h1b visa for dentists

If you’re a dentist hoping to work in the United States, the H-1B Visa for dentists is something to consider. This visa is for temporary foreign workers in specialized occupations, including dentistry. In addition to the standard educational requirements (a bachelor’s degree or higher), proof of a valid employer-employee relationship, and evidence of appropriate pay by the employer to the applicant should their visa application be accepted, there are some profession-specific tips to keep in mind for dentist applicants to make the process easier:

H-1B Visa Education Requirements for Dentists

Ensure that your education is applicable within the US, and specifically in the region where you would be working. Different countries have differing requirements for the same profession, and it’s important before you proceed to make sure that you have the necessary qualifications. As the American Dental Association explains, almost all states in the US require dentists educated in the US to possess a DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery) or DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine). The degree must be from a university-based dental education program accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation (ADA CODA). If you were educated in a country other than the US or Canada, you’ll need an evaluation from a credentialing agency that certifies that your degree is equivalent to an American dentistry degree.

National Board Dental Examinations

In addition to educational requirements, you must be prepared to take the National Board Dental Examinations, conducted by the JCNDE (Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations). The examinations are made up of two parts, both of which are multiple choice. Part I covers biomedical science, dental anatomy, and ethics. Part II covers clinical subjects. Prepping for the exam will include securing a DENTPIN® (DENTal Personal Identifier Number), which you can get from the American Dental Association.

Licensing for Dentists

Finally, make sure you’re licensed in the region of the US where you would be working. Licensing varies state to state and requires taking the applicable examination. Some states may also have additional requirements such as a background check or fingerprint verification. You can find information on individual state boards on the American Dental Association website here.

Are You a Dentist Interested in Applying for an H-1B Visa?

As someone in a highly specialized position, you could have a strong chance at an H-1B Visa. However, you should consider seeking help from an immigration expert. At Visaplace, we know what steps and details that immigration officers consider when deciding whether to approve or deny an application.

The first step towards a successful H-1B application is getting an assessment of your case. Fill out our free immigration assessment form and we will get back to you within 24 hours to discuss your eligibility and options.


Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Paymon Mousavi

    I am recent graduate from University of Michigan school of dentistry and I am seeking the H1B visa to work in Washington State. My understanding is that I have to provide an SSN to obtain a license in Washington State. I need a work permit to obtain an SSN and I need the license to obtain the work permit which seems like a loop to me. I can be reached via the email provided. Your professional help in this matter will be much appreciated. Thank you.

    • Immigration Lawyers

      Hi Paymon,

      Thank you for contacting us at VisaPlace! We understand that the process can be confusing, but we would love to help clear up any confusion you may have. Hiring an immigration lawyer will help you get answers to all of your questions, plus it will increase the chance of getting a visa approved. Please, complete this form for me it is just a quick and easy way for me to learn more details about your situation so that I will be able to advise you accurately and determine the best avenue for us to take to give you the best legal advice.

      The above response is for informational purposes only and does not form a lawyer-client relationship nor should it be construed to be legal advice.

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walkerin the last week

I had an excellent experience working with Visa Place, communicating with them was very easy. I initially tried to navigate my immigration issue personally, but it was much more efficient allowing everything to be handled by the experts. Thank you so much Sarah, Lauren, Natasha, and Sukhi for all of your help!

Tanyain the last week

Thanks to Alicea and Rania for their excellent service. This is the 2 nd time we are using them and they have always delivered successful results, even where other law firms has been unsuccessful. Alicea has been especially helpful and available to address all our concerns. She has an excellent work ethic. We will be using them again and always recommend them to our friends.

K Wa week ago