Electronic Travel Authorization Introduced for Travelers From Visa Exempt Countries

electronic travel

Travelers from visa exempt countries (such as UK, Australia, France, Japan and Chile) will be required to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before travelling to Canada. This is very similar to a current system in place in the USA, known as the ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization), which is used by the United States to pre-screen visa exempt visitors.

Who Will Require an eTA?

  • Visa-exempt individuals seeking to travel to Canada by air for a short-term visit
  • Individuals in Canada on work or study permits planning to exit Canada and re-enter by air, unless they’re only travelling to the US

Applicants must pay a CAD $7.00 processing fee and the resulting electronic travel authorization will be valid for five years or until the applicant’s passport expires, the eTA is cancelled, or a new eTA is issued.

The eTA will include the applicant’s name, date, place of birth, gender, address, nationality, and passport information. Find out if you need a visitor visa or an eTA.

Who Will Not Require an eTA?

The main exceptions include;

  • US citizens
  • Individuals with a temporary resident visa or temporary resident permit
  • Accredited diplomats
  • Foreign nationals applying for a work or study permit at a visa office abroad

Do You Have More Questions About Electronic Travel Authorization?

If you’re not sure how this affects you, or not sure if you’ll require an eTA, we at Visaplace can help you, contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are part of the VisaPlace team. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-888-317-5770.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs?

Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.

The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.


Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Zki

    I have approved eta. Can I fly befor 2016 ?

    • Mira Freiwat

      Hello Zki,

      Thank you for your question. Once your ETA is approved, you can travel immediately. MF

  • Ali raza

    i want to ask about Canada immigration my Question is that how much take time for the complete process of Canada immigration

    • Mira Freiwat

      Hello Ali,

      Thank you for your question. It really depends on which program you are looking to immigrate under. Citizenship and Immigration Canada is doing their best to ensure that qualified applicants will obtain their Permanent Residency within one year or less. MF

  • Mira Freiwat

    Hello Muhammad,

    Thank you for your post. I have not received your CV and I am not sure where you sent it to. We can definitely assist you with any questions you have about Immigrating to Canada or US but I cannot advise you on the other 2 countries. I will email you shortly to schedule a time and date for a consultation! MF

  • Muhammad Ashfaq

    Earlier my friend has faced the fraud regarding the immigration of Australia, i am afraid for this purpose.
    So request to you kindly be clear my mind regarding the work permit of Canada, Australia or South Africa,
    Because my dream is to work in these country for better future of my family and to nearly watch the culture of these countries.
    I send to you my detailed CV.
    Kindly reply to me.
    i am daily online from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm on Pakistan Time,

  • ASAD


    Kindly advise us visit visa time 3 month, 6 month 2years or 5 years
    because i get the visit visa of usa 5 years

    Assad Khan

    • Mira Freiwat

      Hello Asad,

      Thank you for your post. You can stay for up to 6 months per visit. MF

  • Eduardo Flores

    Hello, i see the eTA its going to be able august 1st 2015, and for us mexicans that meet the requirements for eTA (Valid US non-immigrant visa and/or previous Canadian visa) can we apply as well to travel as of august 1st to travel to Canada with the eTA?
    Thank you

    • Mira Freiwat

      Hello Eduardo,

      Thank you for your post. Yes, you will be able to apply as soon as this program opens in the 1st of August, 2015. Contact us if you need help with obtaining the ETA! MF

      • Eduardo Flores

        Thanks for your answer. So if i get the eTA would i be able to travel to Canada without a visa as of August 1st? Or we will need the visa still until March 2016?
        Thank you

        • Mira Freiwat

          Hello Eduardo,

          It should be effective as of this August. MF

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

This firm is top notch! They pulled together last minute to help me prepare for my TN visa application. They were patient, helpful and impeccably professional. Everything went smoothly, came off without a hitch & I was successful in my application. Highly recommended. Thank you VisaPlace!

Travis Birchin the last week

These guys are awesome. We had an awesome opportunity to work with Lisa Inspektor who remained very patient and provided very valuable and professional input and reviews through out my Visa application process. It is because of them that I was able to visit Canada with my husband and we can't Thank Lisa and her team enough for their professional services. Highly recommended!!

Ranjana Bandralin the last week

I cannot thank VisaPlace enough for their help. I had an issue with my immigration work that I needed professional help with. The team did a stellar job in making my case and I am greatly indebted to them. I worked directly with Alicea. She was extremely professional and responsive! Even after building my case and submitting my application, she was always available to answer any questions or concerns I had for several months after. I highly recommend the team and would come back in future if I have to. Thank you!

Arjun Mishrain the last week