Do you need a US waiver?

A United States waiver of inadmissibility allows individuals who are otherwise inadmissible to the United States (such as people with a criminal record) the ability to enter the United States for temporary trips.  US Waivers

People can be inadmissible to the United States for any number of reasons, but most often the reason for inadmissibility is a criminal history, even a seemingly insignificant one.

If you are criminally inadmissible to the United States but you need to travel there, consider applying for a United States waiver of inadmissibility. In fact, it is wise to not wait until you need to enter the United States for an emergency, but to do it in advance because the application for a US waiver can take between six and nine months to process.

The US waiver application process

An applicant who wishes to apply for a US waiver must create an application package, and then bring the application (in person) to a specific United States port of entry while also paying the application fee.

While this sounds quite simple, the application package itself requires a number of different things relating to the applicant and their criminal history.

For example, you are expected to write a personal statement about the criminal offense and the circumstances surrounding it. You will also need official documents relating to the case from both the RCMP and the local courthouse.

There are two application forms that are a part of the application package, the I-192 (Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Nonimmigrant) as well as a biographic information form, G-325A.
Because the waiver is for temporary entry to the United States, the applicant will need to demonstrate that they will return to Canada after they have visited the United States and must do so by showing their ties to Canada via employment, family or property ties.

There are also other requirements that depend on your criminal history itself. For example, someone with a drug conviction may have to show that they have passed a drug test.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

I had an amazing experience with this immigration firm! They helped me to obtain B2 Tourist Visa to U.S. I went for legal support as in the past I was denied of entry due to working without proper authorization. The process itself was smooth, stuff was very helpful along the way. Special thanks to Renee Thompson who handle it and explained and guided through the process and helped to prepare for the interview. Would definitely recommend to anyone !!

A Min the last week

Personally, I went through a lot with my immigration papers. But Karina and Lauren were very helpful and responsive to all our questions and concerns. Thank you once again on doing a great job. I would highly recommend Karina and Lauren and her firm.

Mohamad El-hajjin the last week

I hired Visa Place for my US E2 visa application. The team at Visa place understood my business very well and prepare my case accordingly. Fadi and Natalie are very knowledgeable, my main contact was Natalie, she answered all my questions and concerns in detail and in timely manner, mostly within few hours. Thanks Visa Place team for your help and support during the process that produce successful result. See you again in 5 years for visa renewal application.

Webplex Incin the last week