Can I Enter the US if I have a Criminal Record for DUI?

Unfortunately, no matter what shape your life is in now, having a criminal record for a DUI no matter how long ago this conviction occurred can make it difficult to travel to different countries. For example, Canada will not let you enter normally if you have a conviction for a DUI, while the United States may let you enter depending on the circumstances. Regardless, it is not worth to risk to try to enter the United States anyway because being denied entry can be extremely inconvenient. But if you do have a criminal record for DUI, what can you do?

Applying for a United States Waiver of Inadmissibility

Even someone who has a criminal record can enter the United States with a waiver of inadmissibility, which is a special document that you must apply for. This document lasts about five Can-I-Enter-the-US-if-I-have-a-Criminal-Record-for-DUIyears and needs to be shown to customers and border officers whenever you enter the country.

United States waivers of inadmissibility are not easy to obtain. The United States will need to determine if there is a risk of harm to society should you enter the country, the seriousness of your violations and why you want to enter the United States.

In order to consider all of these things, the immigration officials will require an RCMP certificate, local court records, information about your ties to Canada, character references and more in addition to the standard waiver application forms. There is then a six to nine month wait for processing.

Are You Inadmissible to Canada?

If you want to apply for a United States waiver or you are not sure if you are inadmissible to Canada, please contact our immigration law firm. We are here to help you!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago