Can I Be denied Entry to the United States for DUI?

A DUI is just one of the reasons why people can be denied entry to the United States. Even if your DUI offense occurred a long time ago, if you have a criminal record for DUI in Canada you could be inadmissible to the United States.

Inadmissibility to the United States Due To DUI

If you attempt to enter the United States at the border with a DUI conviction on your criminal record, you could be turned away. This can also create significant problems for an international traveler who needs to pass through a United States airport.

Someone who is inadmissible to the United States because of a DUI will need to bring a copy of their conviction with them to the border or airport, where the Customs and Border Protection officers will have the final say as to whether you may enter or pass through the United States. However, this can be extremely risky.

Getting into the United States after a DUI Conviction

If you need to enter the United States or you need to pass through for travel, you need to explore your options if you have a criminal record for DUI. This means that you should speak with a licensed immigration lawyer, as you may be eligible to apply for a waiver of inadmissibility.

To obtain the waiver you will need to fill out several different application forms and provide the United States Customs and Border Protection with several different documents, including official records surrounding the case, information about your life in Canada (evidence of your strong ties to Canada) and character references. A personal statement and drug test may also be necessary.

Worried About Being Denied Entry to the US for DUI?

Waivers can take a long time to process, so make sure you speak with a licensed imigraiton lawyer to ensure your application is ready for processing. Contact us to book your consultation, the last thing you want to do is make an error!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh2 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre2 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheong4 weeks ago