Why can someone be denied entry to the United States?

Did you know that a criminal record can result in your being denied entry to the United States? This means that if you have a criminal record, even if it is for a minor offense or is old, you could be asked to turn around and leave the United States should you try to enter. This will also cause you severe travel difficulties should you attempt to enter the country via an airport – regardless of whether you must enter the country or not. Denied Entry to the US

The United States takes criminal records of all kinds seriously, but there are also other reasons someone can be denied entry to the United States. Some of these reasons include previous immigration violations (overstaying a visa, working illegally), criminal ties, having a medical issue that could pose a safety risk as well as not being able to demonstrate that you will not work in the United States and that you have enough money to support yourself. However, criminal records are the most common reasons that people are denied entry to the United States.

Waivers for people who have been denied entry to the United States

Waivers are a special United States document available for individuals who are not able to enter the United States by regular means. In fact, waivers are available for many reasons for inadmissibility, including people who have criminal records.

However, obtaining a United States waiver of inadmissibility is not an easy process. You will have to provide the United States Customs and Border Protection officials with a significant amount of supporting documentation relating to your life in Canada and your initial offense.
One of the more difficult aspects of these applications is that they can take a very long time to process, between six and nine months. This is why you need to speak with a licensed immigration lawyer to ensure that your application is ready for processing.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.