Denied Entry to the US? Useful information on US Waivers for Canadians

Information on US Waivers when one is Denied Entry to the US

Below is an excerpt from an AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) bulletin sent to me by our Associate Fadi Minawi, an AILA member.

I think it is a good summary regarding information on US Waivers:


There are many reasons why a person may be ineligible to enter the United States.

The legal descriptions are lengthy and complex therefore a list of the most common reasons is provided below.  This information should not be interpreted to be a comprehensive list of reasons you may be denied entry into the United States.

In general, you might be denied entry:

  • If you have a communicable disease,
  • If you have a criminal record for crimes of moral turpitude,
  • For possession of or trafficking in a controlled substance,
  • If you have any involvement with terrorism or terrorist organizations (no waivers can be approved for this category),
  • If you have trafficked in persons,
  • If you have been involved in money laundering,
  • If you might become a public charge because of limited financial resources,
  • If you have been previously removed (deported) or have overstayed a previous period of admission to the United States

Again, this list is not comprehensive. The list of crimes of moral turpitude that are reasons for exclusion from the United States is also quite detailed. The most common types of crimes involving moral turpitude that would make you  inadmissible are murder, manslaughter, rape, theft, bribery,forgery, aggravated battery, prostitution, and fraud.

Depending on the reason for your inadmissibility into the United States, and if you are a class of nonimmigrant where a visa is not required, e.g., most citizens of Canada, or you are a nonimmigrant with appropriate documents who subsequently becomes inadmissible, you may be eligible to apply in advance of your travel directly to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) for a temporary waiver of inadmissibility.

The waiver application process can be lengthy (up to a year) and there is a cost of US $545.00 per application regardless of the decision on the application.

The temporary waiver application, Form I-192, Application for Advance Permission to Enter as Nonimmigrant [Pursuant to Section 212(d)(3)(A) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)], is on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ web site, as well as instructions for filling it out.

The Form I-192 can be downloaded at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Immigration Forms website (Form I-192). ( Form I-192 ) This form should be filed with CBP if you are an inadmissible visa exempt nonimmigrant or a nonimmigrant with appropriate documents who subsequently becomes inadmissible under Section 212(a) of the INA. (Please refer to Section 212(d)(3)(A)(ii) of the INA and Title 8 Code of Federal Regulation 212.4(b) for pertinent statute and regulation). Please note that only forms with the expiration date 11/30/2009 in the upper right hand corner are acceptable.

After February 20, 2009, older versions of the form… 1/10

AILA InfoNet Doc. No. 10083038. (Posted on 8/30/10).

[gravityform id=1 name=Havea Question? ]
Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • US Entry Waiver

    Well this information can be a big help for Canadian citizens who want to apply for US Visa. Thanks for sharing your experience I will surely keep your key points in my mind.

  • Amadou Kasse


    My girl has a 5-year bar to enter the USA. She is currently in Canada, but not a Permanant Resident in Canada. She has applied to be one but Canadian immigration has refused to grant her the residence. She has appealed and is still waiting.

    She tried to enter the USA four years ago, but misrepresented some facts. As a consequence, she was arrested and deported to Canada.

    Can she apply for a U.S. Waiver to come to the U.S.? Canadia immigration still has her passport. I am a US citizen can I help her?

    • Hi Amadou,

      Generally, most Canadians who have had misrepresentation issues need an I-192 waiver application. If your daughter was deported less than five years ago, she may need an I-212 waiver as well. An I-212 can be processed along with an I-192.

      Thank you.

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago