The Most Common Reasons Denied Entry to Canada

Canada Denied Entry

Canada accepts thousands of immigrants per year. The Canadian government also denies many applications. Why would it reject people? There are a number of reasons why immigration officials accept one person’s application and not another. Read on to learn a list of the most common reasons people are denied entry into Canada.

Security Reasons

Canada takes its security very seriously. As such, it will not allow anyone into the country who could jeopardize the safety of its citizens.

People who are suspected or have committed espionage, attempted to overthrow the government or engaged in acts of violence or terrorism will be denied entry into Canada. Even if you’re part of an organization which participates in these activities but haven’t taken part in them yourself, you’ll still be forbidden to come to Canada.

Human or International Rights Violations

The True North has a very strong record in the field of human and international rights. It will not harbor those who are suspected or have committed human or international rights violations.

These violations include (but aren’t limited to) war crimes and crimes against humanity. The Statute of the International Criminal Court defines war crimes as “serious violations of the laws and customs applicable in international armed conflict” and “serious violations of the laws and customs applicable in an armed conflict not of an international character.” Crimes against humanity, as defined by the International Criminal Court, are acts knowingly committed as part of a widespread or systemic attack against any part of the civilian population. They include (but aren’t limited to) murder, enslavement, deportation and torture. Even if you didn’t participate in these actions but were a senior official in a government which did, immigration officials would deny your entry into Canada.

Criminal Activity

Canada is a country with a strong rule of law. It doesn’t tolerate criminal activity.

If you’ve committed a crime that would be punishable by the maximum sentence of at least ten years, even if that crime took place outside of Canada, you won’t be able to come into this country. Even if you’ve been convicted of an offense such as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, your entry will be denied.

Let’s say you’re a member of a crime syndicate, such as the Russian mafia. You might never have committed a criminal offense in your entire life, but your organization’s participation in activities such as money laundering and human trafficking are enough to keep you out of Canada.

Health Problems

Security, human rights violations and criminal offenses aren’t the only reasons immigration officials won’t let you into Canada. Your health could be a bar to your entry.

If your health condition would endanger public health or pose a threat to public safety, you won’t be allowed into Canada. Even if your condition isn’t serious enough to put others at risk, it could put a strain on the health or social services system. And that, too, can also prevent you from coming to this country.

Financial Grounds

Canada was built by hard-working immigrants. They laboured to create a better life for themselves and their families.

If you’re not willing to work or you don’t have the means to support yourself and your family, immigration officials will refuse your application to enter Canada.

Lying on Your Application

Honesty is a virtue. And it’s one you should exercise when filling out your application for a visa to Canada.

Did you claim you were a refugee when you’re really not? Have you withheld important information (such as details about a conviction or support for a terrorist group)? Those are two examples of misrepresentation that will bar you from Canada.

Noncompliance with Immigration Laws

The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act governs immigration in Canada. Those who come to Canada are expected to abide by the law. Otherwise, the Canadian government can revoke their legal status.

What are some examples of noncompliance? Temporary visitors overstay their visa or try to work or study without the right visa. Permanent residents don’t live in Canada for long enough. People who have been deported from Canada attempt to re-enter the country without proper authorization.

An Inadmissible Family Member

You might meet all of the qualifications to immigrate to Canada. However, if you’re immigrating as a family and even a single member isn’t admissible, you won’t be able to get in.

Although it doesn’t seem fair to punish a whole family for one person’s actions or health condition, Canada cannot afford a risk to the health and safety of its citizens.

VisaPlace: Your Canadian Immigration Law Experts

Are you interested in immigrating to Canada and want to know more about your eligibility?

Contact VisaPlace today. Our lawyers and their staff are experienced independent practitioners affiliated with registered law firms. They have been carefully selected by VisaPlace to help you based on their experience and client service approach in Canadian and U.S. immigration law.

Click here to book a 1 on 1 consultation, or call us at 1-888-317-5770.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • chris


    I applied in July within canada for permanent residence , family sponsorship and work permit which I just got (work permit). My situation is that now I need to export my vehicle from the u.s to canada and must go back over to the u.s border . Should I take that chance ? They state to bring your work permit and any other documents with you to come back into canada but there is a small chance my application might be void for the permanent residence..and have to repay all those fees. I have no idea what to do. I dont think I can sell the car in canada to my wife if its a u.s car

    • Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello Chris. If yo applied for an Inland spousal sponsorship, then it is not recommended that you leave Canada until your permanent residency is approved. I am going to suggest that you contact us to make an appointment to talk with one of our immigration professionals who will be able to plan the best strategy for your situation. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
      Regards, Muga

  • Jose Navarro

    Hi my name is Jose Navarro
    I have a question
    How can I apply to work in Canada
    I’m living in USA but I’m Mexican citizen
    Can I still apply for jobs or get a work visa ?

    • Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello Jose. You will first need a job offer from a Canadian company. You can search the Canadian job boards such as or . Once you have your job offer, we can help you obtain the work visa that you will need to come to Canada. As a MExican citizen you may be elegible for the NAFTA stream of immigration. I am going to suggest that you contact us to make an appointment to talk with one of our immigration professionals who will be able to plan the best strategy for you. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
      Regards, Muga

      Regards, Muga

  • Mbabazi Vian

    Hi, am 4th year petroleum engineering student in China ,as foreign student I want to continue with my masters in the same field from Canada immediately after graduation do I need to first go back home and apply for visa or I can apply from China which is easier process , and how long will it take ,and what are the chances of getting students visa

    • Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello Mbabazi. You have not told us which country you are from. Each country has its own rules and regulations, and processing times. I am going to suggest that you contact us to make an appointment to talk with one of our immigration professionals who will be able to plan the best strategy for you. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
      Regards, Muga

  • John peter

    Hi amarjit I just want to know.. I applied for studying in Canada on may 2016. Can my age on international pasport Denny me from migrating to Canada, because my age on international passport differs from.that on my birth certificate

    • Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello John. Your legal documents must match. If they do not, you must have them corrected.
      Regards, Muga

  • Ranab kumar sharma

    Do you arrange job employment for canada?
    At present I am studying masters in Germany with my wife and have a little child. As i have canada visit visa and job experience for 3 years in IT sector. I m interested for quebec. Skilled worker.

    Can u advice me ?



    • Vahe Mirzoyan

      Hello Ranab. The best place to start, is to search all the Canadian online job search engines. Once an employer gives you a job offer, you can contact us and we will help you obtain the work visa that you will need.
      Regards, Vahe

  • Pallavi Mehra

    Hi, my study visa was rejected in dec 2015 for a program in public relations. But i am also an mba in human resource, so now i am applying for a pg diploma in human resource management and got an offer letter from University of winnipeg. What are my chances of getting a study visa? The consultant i applied through did not show my loan papers & employment details too.

    Reason for rejection mentioned was ‘Other Reason’

    • Vahe Mirzoyan

      Hello Pallavi. A study visa is one of the most difficult to obtain because the reviewing officer needs to make 100% certain that you will return home after your studies are completed. Many people who attempt to apply without the proper legal help, face the same problem as you. If you need help with your application to make sure that you are not making any mistakes or ommisions, and so that you will have a legal team taking care of all the matters that may arise, then please contact us to book a consultation with one of our immigration professionals. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
      Regards, Vahe

  • Chetan Patel


    I am Chetan Patel. I am an engineer having 5+ years of experience in Industrial Automation.
    Seeking to relocate to Canada with my wife.

    • Vahe Mirzoyan

      Hello Chetan. We must look at all your information before we can suggest the best immigration path for you: education, work, language skill, family. I am going to suggest that you contact us to make an appointment to talk with one of our immigration professionals who will be able to plan the best strategy for you. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
      Regards, Vahe

  • Jamie Ackerman

    I am moving to canada with my daughter in June of this year to live with my fiancee who is a permanent resident of quebec canada. I have soul custody of my daughter and her father is never around. I want a better life for my daughter and i. I will have no problem finding a job because i wm a hard worker and i learn things pretty quick. Ive never been introuble with the law so do u think my daughter and i will have any problems immigrating to canada?

    • Vahe Mirzoyan

      Hello Jamie. Thank you for writing to us. Immigration can be very complex. There are many factors that will be looked at when you apply: your citizenship, the legitimacy of the relationship of your fiancee, the custody of your daughter, your work experience, your education. I am going to suggest that you contact us to make an appointment to talk with one of our immigration professionals who will be able to plan the best strategy for you and your daughter. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
      Regards, Vahe

  • Ali

    Hii, I am divorcee and I hv 11 year old son. Who is in my costudy. I am planning to getting married again in sep nd next year planning to get immigrant visa for canada. So is it possible to take my son along with me there with my husbnd. But in his pasport my ex husbnd is written there in the place of his father’s name. Wld it create any prblm.

    • Vahe Mirzoyan

      Hello Ali. Whenever a child (minor) is traveling with only one of the parents, there will be questions asked at the border. It is always best to have all your documentation with you; passports, birth certificates, divorce and custody documents, and if possible, a letter from your spouse acknowledging that you are traveling with your child and how long the trip will be. It is always best to be prepared when you cross the border.
      Regards, Vahe

  • Amarjit Kaur

    I want to know about if someone had sent application to SINP and just had a received electronic message from SINP and the same one want to apply for USA then his data can be match for both countries or not. SINP data is only on the basis of state level or Canadian government level.

    • Vahe Mirzoyan

      Hello Amarjit. Application for status in Canada cannot be used for the US. You would need to reapply for any US program that you are interested in.
      Regards, Vahe

  • Amarjit

    Amarjit this side,
    I just want to know about the immigration of Canada and US both have linked with each other or different I mean that data-entry or do not have any link.

    • Vahe Mirzoyan

      Hello Amarjit. Since 2001, Canada and the US have been sharing more and more of their data.
      Regards, Vahe

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

I could not have asked for more! The VisaPlace team are extremely professional, they know their stuff. They gave me great information, prepared my work visa application and then prepared me for the submission process. I was successful. Got my visa. 5 stars! I would give them 6 if I could.

Tim Willisin the last week

This is not an exaggeration!!! I was truly impressed with the way VisaPlace consultants handled my case. The consultants- Emily, Lauren, Takunda and Lisa, took their time to explain to me in great deal how they were going to approach my case and how they would handle setbacks, if any. Their professionalism and knowledge of the law were superb. The minor setback that came up was quickly addressed by the team. The team constantly kept me updated on the progress/status of my application; they quickly responded to my questions/concerns. They had predicated my permanent residency to be processed within 6 -12, and Indeed it was processed and completed within 6 months. Based on my personal experience, Emily and Lauren's team are the best! They deserve 5 stars!!!!!!!!!!!

George Jakan'gayoa week ago

VisaPlace helped me sponsor my husband to become a Permanent Resident of Canada. They were extremely professional. Every step along the way was explained fully and expertly taken care of. The staff responded immediately to any questions and always handled our concerns fully, taking as much time as we needed to understand where we were at in the immigration process and what to expect next. I would recommend VisaPlace with no hesitation at all. I'm sure if we had tried to navigate the immigration process ourselves, it would have been much harder.

Shirley Corriveau2 weeks ago