Temporary resident permits and criminal inadmissibility

Criminal inadmissibility to Canada is a serious issue that many United States citizens and other foreign nationals face every day. They cannot enter Canada because they have a criminal record, and if they attempt to enter they will likely be denied entry or worse, detained in rare cases. Denied Entry to Canada

Border security is much more strict these days, and overall restrictions and requirements for everyday people traveling to Canada are much more significant than they were years ago. In fact, it doesn’t matter how small or old your criminal record is, there is still a chance you will be refused entry should you try and enter Canada.

What can you do? You do have options.

Speak to a licensed immigration lawyer about a Temporary Resident Permit

If you are concerned about being denied entry to Canada, speak with a licensed immigration lawyer as soon as possible to learn about your options. You may have several different options regarding overcoming your criminal inadmissibility, including applying for a Temporary Resident Permit or criminal rehabilitation.

Criminal rehabilitation may be a better option for you if you are someone who has an older criminal record and could meet the requirements to be eligible to remove your criminal inadmissibility permanently. While this is a long process, it can be extremely worthwhile provided you are eligible.

You may also be able to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit, which is a quick process. This process, however, is only temporary and while you can apply at the US-Canada border, you can also be denied despite having traveled all of the way to the border.

Ensure that you have only set yourself up for the best chances of success when overcoming or removing your criminal inadmissibility to Canada by ensuring that you speak with a licensed immigration lawyer first.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • PG

    Message: Currently applying for a Provincial Nomination at SK through SK. Will be submitting an updated “Schedule A” form later

    – Visa Refused in UK on March 2012. Immigration found that my tax records are fake. 10 year ban
    – Declared this refusal last year for SK Provincial Nomination (Schedule A) and Australian tourist visa. They did not ask the circumstances and I passed both…

    • Vahe Mirzoyan

      We advise all of our clients to always be upfront and honest with all the questions that you are asked by the immigration officers.
      Regards, Vahe

  • Gurtaranvir

    hi there,
    i am criminally, inadmissable to enter canada till 17 of may 2017, due to an drink driving offence that occurred in melbourne on 17 december 2011. i live in australia. i would like to move permanently to canada, so if you can help me out in removing my inadmissibility,, or any advice would be highly appreciated. looking forward to hearing from you soon.

    • Hello Gurtaranvir

      Thank you for your post. Based on the information you provided, we would have to apply for an Authorization to Return (ARC) to Canada as well as a PR application. We would first have to have a consultation with you to get all the information in order to help you. But generally you need to apply for an ARC given your inadmissibility situation. Best Michael Niren

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

After initially having a very bad experience with one of their immigration consultants and after posting a negative review on Google I was immediately contacted by the Managing Director to reschedule another consultation to try and provide me with a more positive experience. I have been impressed by their attention to customer service as a result of this and I appreciate the initiative that they have taken to turn my negative experience into a positive one. My second consultation was a great experience, I spoke with Brian about my Canadian PR application and he was able to give me great advice and was extremely helpful. He answered all my questions and explained the process of how to apply and was very patient with me which I really appreciate.

Madhav Kin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musaa month ago

Great firm on top of their game. Worked with us til the end to ensure my parents visa was approved and guided us along the way in a professional manor. Natalie is awesome. Majority of our communications were via email, but the responses were immediate. I would greatly recommend this firm. Thank you for all your hard work and help. My family and I do really appreciate it.

Daxesh Patela month ago