Temporary Resident Permit Lawyers for Canada

When someone is denied entry to Canada from the United States, it can be extremely embarrassing and inconvenient. You may have had a vacation planned or needed to visit family in Canada, and you may have already spent a significant amount of money on your travel and plans that may not be refundable. 

Many people are denied entry to Canada every day because they have a criminal record. Not all criminal records will deny you entry, but some types of criminal records such as those for offenses like DUIs are almost guaranteed to cause you to be denied entry to Canada. However, you are not without options if you have or think you will be denied entry to Canada.

Applying for a temporary resident permit to enter Canada

Temporary resident permits are almost like asking advance special permission to enter Canada even though you’re inadmissible otherwise. However, temporary resident permits are not given out easily, and you will have to satisfy several important requirements, including:

You must provide a criminal clearance certificate from the FBI that is based on a fingerprint check, as well as state and local police certificates from everywhere you’ve lived since you were 18 for more than 6 months.

You will have to provide three letters of reference on your behalf from “responsible citizens”, who could include clergymen, respectable private citizens (like doctors), public officials or a parole board.

You will need to describe the criminal case against you with as much detail as you can, which means you’ll need copies of the court judgements against you in addition to copies of the laws under which you were convicted or charged. A personal statement that you have written about the conviction is also required.

You will need to demonstrate that you have completed any community service, were discharged from probation, paid your fines and had your driver’s license reinstated wherever any of this is applicable to your situation.

Temporary resident permit lawyers for Canada

United States citizens overcome their criminal inadmissibility to Canada. It is possible – although it’s not an easy process. If you need to visit Canada and are or think you might be criminally inadmissible, please contact us using the phone number on the top of this page or by using the e-mail form on the right. We are here to help!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.