Problems Entering Canada? We Can Help

Many people are unaware that they can be denied entry to Canada, even if they have already been approved for the appropriate visa or they are entering from a country like the United States, citizens of which do not require a visa. Problems Entering Canada

It can be extremely inconvenient, expensive and frustrating to have problems entering Canada, as many people do not know they are ineligible to enter Canada until they actually try. In other words, they have already spent the time and money traveling to Canada, and may have a pressing reason to enter the country such as a family emergency or a business trip.

Why would someone have problems entering Canada?

There are a lot of different reasons that someone can have issues entering Canada if they want to visit for any reason.

For example, if you have a criminal record or a history of criminal ties, you could be inadmissible to Canada. If you have health issues, you may also be inadmissible to Canada. The Canadian border officials must also be satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit, and that you have enough money to support yourself while you are in Canada.

Visitors from specific countries must also have a valid travel document, and some types of travel documents or passports are considered unreliable by the Canadian government and could cause you problems when you try to enter Canada.

Many different issues that cause someone problems when entering Canada can be fixed. For example, those who have a criminal record may be able to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit, which will allow them to overcome their criminal inadmissibility for a short period of time.

Problems entering Canada are a concern for many, however some travelers do not realize there will be a problem until they have arrived at the border or airport. Avoid experiencing problems entering Canada before you travel, and contact a licensed immigration lawyer to determine your eligibility and any additional steps you need to take for problem-free travel to Canada.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • gary

    Hi Im a UK citizen with Brittish passport and a 10 year overstayer in the States . I wish now to go to Canada . I do not have the same passport that i entered the US with 10 years ago. I have a brand new blank UK passport now. If I went overland into Canada from the US , do you think i would have problems at the border crossing ? thanks

    • Immigration Lawyers

      Hi Gary,

      Thank you for contacting us at VisaPlace! Although you do have a valid passport, I do recommend having a valid visa for easy safer traveling when crossing borders. Hiring an immigration lawyer will help you get answers to all of your questions, plus it will increase the chance of getting a visa approved. Please, complete this form for me it is just a quick and easy way for me to learn more details about your situation so that I will be able to advise you accurately and determine the best avenue for us to take to give you the best legal advice.

      The above response is for informational purposes only and does not form a lawyer-client relationship nor should it be construed to be legal advice.

  • Shelly

    Hi, my partner and I have flights booked to Canada in November to attend appointments at prospective universities. Upon applying for our eTa, my partner hasn’t received anything other than “more information within 72 hours” and for me, it has asked that I provide documention, of which will be revealed upon setting up an account and linking the application to said account.
    Upon applying, I was very honest in stating that I have a speeding offence (not sure whether or not it is criminal, but stated it anyway) the date and location – so I can only assume they wish for me to obtain a police certificate which is perfectly fine. However, every time I try to link my application so I can see what it is they’re requesting, it states that my application cannot be found. What do I do in this situation? Do you think it’s best I apply for a police check anyway until the technical error is fixed?

    • Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello Shelly. A traffic violation such as speeding, provided it was not classified as reckless driving, should not be cause of consern. Immigration forms can be confusing at times. If you need help with your application to make sure that you are not making any mistakes, and so that you will have a legal team taking care of all the matters that may arise, then please contact us to book a consultation with one of our immigration professionals. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
      Regards, Muga

  • Claudia

    Hello. Maybe you can help me with an issue which has me worried. I will be traveling to Canada on a Working Holiday Visa with my Argentine passport next year. I understand you are only allowed to visit the USA if you want to reenter Canada through your working permit. The problem is I plan to travel to the US with my Italian passport as I hold dual citizenship (Argentinian-Italian) and Europeans are exempt from visa there and also as I do not have a US visa on my Argentine passport. My question is: How should I prove I have just been to the US and no other place if I have to present my Argentine passport again to Canadian officials? I have inquired about this at Canadian Embassy here in Buenos Aires and they were unable to provide a proper answer. Hope you can. Thank you very much.

    • Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello Claudia. You must answer all the questions honestly when you are asked by the border officer. The more complicated your situation is, the clearer you need to be able to explain it.
      Regards, Muga

  • Jason Smith

    Hi. I booked flights to Canada back in August 2015 before the regulation for eTA’s was passed.
    I’m booked to fly in 5 weeks time and am having trouble obtaining an eTA because of a ‘drink driving’ conviction in 2003 in New Zealand where I live. I made my online application and initially received an email stating that some extra documentation was needed. I was required to create a ‘myCIC’ account and link my application to it, after which I would be informed which documentation I needed to provide. I created the ‘myCIC’ account and linked the application but I’ve not received any further communication. This I did over 2 weeks ago. Due to the fact that my flight date is getting closer (especially if I need to obtain documents here which may take time also) I am getting rather nervous! Are you able to provide me with any guidance with this?

    • Vahe Mirzoyan

      Hello Jason. Thank you for writing to us. Without an approved eTA, you will not be able to fly. For us to process a criminal rehabilitation for you will take 12 months, and we would be right up against the deadline if we process a temporary resident permit. The short time frame does not work in your favor. I am sorry.
      Regards, Vahe

  • Fee fee

    My fiance went to Canada seeking refugee status he’s having problems because his Port of Entry in to Canada. I’m a US citizen . I go to visit him in Canada but he cannot reenter the states what can I do and he was denied status in Canada because he has no proof of his Port of Entry entry there from Nigeria he bought papers on the street please help I don’t know what to do supposed to be getting married in March but I don’t know if I can still marry him over there in Canada being a US citizen and he has no status there confused need help thank you

    • Vahe Mirzoyan

      Hello. Thanks for writing to us. Your situation is very complex and cannot be dealt with thoroughly enough in this forum. I am going to suggest that you contact us to make an appointment to talk with one of our immigration professionals who will be able to plan the best strategy for you. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
      Regards, Vahe

  • Ol.

    Once I came to canada with my gf who was Kuwaiti citizen and was granted a 2 years visa.
    When we reached the airport I went through the Canadian entry machines and she went through the Que . I finished and I claimed the bags when she called me saying come immgration officer want to talk to u. I went there when I saw her standing in front of lady officer she asked me who is this girl? I said she is my friend she said do you love her??? I said she is my friend and she is my partner in some business. She said you liar coz she said u luv her..I will not allow her to enter canada!!! After alot of talk she told us to set after while she called me and through my Canadian passport in bad way and she said I put a note in front of your file so they alway double check anybody accompany you next visit and she let the girl get into Canada. This was 2013. Now we broke up and I am now married from other person who will go with me to canada so will they cause me a problem too?

    • Mira Freiwat

      Hello Sir,

      Thank you for your inquiry. Based upon the information you have provided, there may be a chance that you could experience some issues at the port of entry. Although you have provided me with some details about the incident, I would need to learn more to advise you accurately and provide you with advice on what can be done to avoid any problems as well as the best route for you to take. Kindly complete this form for me and you will be contacted once it has been reviewed. MF

  • bid-ninja

    Can I just say what a relief to find somebody who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You truly know how to bring an trouble to light and make it important. Additional men and women must read this and understand this side from the story. I cant feel youre not much more well-known simply because you really have the gift.

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh3 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre3 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheonga month ago