Entering Canada or the US? Get Ready for New Passport Requirements June 1

Passport requirements for travel between Canada and the United States

Beginning June 1, the United States will implement the final phase of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI).  The WHTI will require all Canadian citizens and US Citizens to present a valid passport or other accepted secure documentation when entering the U.S or Canada. at all land and marine ports. This law came into effect for air travel on January 23, 2007.

Additional documents allowed for travel between the United States and Canada

Canadian citizens and US Citizens will be required to present one of the following valid WHTI-compliant documents when entering the United States or Canada by land or water: a passport, a NEXUS card, a FAST card, or an enhanced driver’s license or identification card from a state, province or territory.

It is important to note that  Canadian citizens entering the United States by land or water can use other WHTI-compliant documents, they must still present a valid passport when leaving the U.S. by air.

For additional information and regulations regarding passportrequirements, please visit Passport Canada’s website at www.passportcanada.gc.ca.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago