What to Know About Entering Canada with a DUI Conviction

Denied entry to Canada 3

Having a DUI is a very serious offense in Canada. Both Canada and the United States take criminal records very seriously, and individuals who have criminal records may not be able to enter either country. However one key difference between the two countries is if you have a DUI conviction on your criminal record, you may be denied entry to the United States, while you will almost certainly be denied entry to Canada for a DUI.

Entering Canada with a DUI Conviction

People who are denied entry to Canada will have to be put on the next flight home or they will be asked to turn around and go back to the United States.

However, if you have a DUI in your past, you may want to speak to a licensed immigration lawyer.

Why You May Need an Immigration Lawyer

A licensed immigration lawyer can help you determine if your DUI conviction would render you inadmissible to Canada. After discussing your criminal history with an immigration lawyer, you can then figure out what you should do about it. The most important thing is that you get it taken care of before you travel to Canada, because some of your options may require time.

One example is the criminal rehabilitation process, for individuals whose criminal conviction is more than five years old. This must be done at the Canadian consulate, and it can take several months for this to be processed. While a lengthy and complicated process, the criminal rehabilitation process can be very rewarding because it is a permanent solution.

Seeking a Temporary Resident Permit

If your criminal record is less than five years old, you could consider applying for a temporary resident permit instead. This is not a permanent solution, but it will help you temporarily overcome your criminal inadmissibility.

Do You Need Help Entering Canada with a DUI Conviction?

Are you concerned about your criminal record preventing you from entering Canada? All of Niren & Associates’ cases are handled by independent, licensed and award winning Canadian and U.S. lawyers who adhere to the highest standards of client service. If you have made the mistake of committing a DUI, all hope is not lost.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.