Celebrities Who Have Been Denied Entry to Canada
A criminal record can get you denied entry to Canada, even if you are a famous celebrity with a job to do. Whether they had a sold-out show to play or a movie they were contractually obligated to promote in Canada – Canadian border services won’t treat them any different than others.
Just a Few Celebrities who have been Denied Entry to Canada
- United States Pastor Terry Jones was denied entry to Canada in October 2012. Jones is famous for holding a Quran burning that resulted in protests where several people were killed. He was denied because of a fine he received in Germany over 20 years ago.
- Fans believed that comedian Russell Brand was denied entry to Canada in October of last year because of a previous drug conviction, forcing him to postpone a show for over 5,000 fans at Casino Rama. However, it turned out he was making a joke because there was a technical issue with the plane he was supposed to take.
- Rapper The Game was denied entry to Canada in April of 2011, because of alleged gang affiliations. The Game also alleges that Canadian customs detained him for 14 days before letting him return to the United States.
- Rapper Lil Wayne was never actually denied entry to Canada in April 2011, but told by Canadian authorities that he would be denied entry because of his criminal record, and so he cancelled two Canadian stops on his tour.
- Rock band The Used was forced to cancel all Canadian stops on their recent tour in the summer of 2012, because lead singer Bert McCracken had several small offences, like tresspassing, on his criminal record from more than 10 years ago
- Actor Wes Bentley (from the Hunger Games and American Beauty), was denied entry to Canada earlier this year as he attempted to go to Toronto to promote his new movie at the Toronto International Film Festival. While clean and sober now, a past drug possession charge in 2008 resulted in his criminal inadmissibility to Canada.
No One Is Exempt from Being Denied Entry to Canada
As you can see, even celebrities who have oodles of handlers, money and influence at their disposal cannot circumvent Canadian border security. They are among the many everyday people who are denied entry to Canada for seemingly ‘small’ criminal offences. However, this does not mean there is no hope; there are ways of overcoming your criminal inadmissibility and gain entry into Canada.
Are You Concerned That You Will be Denied Entry to Canada?
Do you have a criminal record and are worried about being denied entry to Canada? VisaPlace can help. Fill out our Free Online Immigration Assessment and we contact you to discuss your eligibility to enter Canada.
The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.
I cannot thank VisaPlace enough for their help. I had an issue with my immigration work that I needed professional help with. The team did a stellar job in making my case and I am greatly indebted to them. I worked directly with Alicea. She was extremely professional and responsive! Even after building my case and submitting my application, she was always available to answer any questions or concerns I had for several months after. I highly recommend the team and would come back in future if I have to. Thank you!
Visaplace was able to get myself my Visa, as well as many of my employees. They made my dreams of living in the USA and starting a company come true. Their process is clean, simple, and affordable. Thank you to the whole team for your incredible work!
I just cannot praise this place enough, staff is extremely helpful, very knowledgeable, all my questions were answered elaborately and not once I was confused from the answer. They do their best to get back to you as quick as possible after you have asked a question, I can actually sit down and praise this place all day and still there will be a lot more left to praise about, Richard, Lisa, Alicea, Rania, Caroline, and everybody else, such a great staff! I am finally permanent resident! It was a long journey but patience and hard work with a good Immigration Law Firm is the key from my experience! I would strongly recommend this place, VisaPlace I thank you very much for making my dream come true, every penny spent was completely worth it.