Can My Spouse Get a Work Permit if I Have One?

(Below is a transcription of this video)

Hello my name is Michael Niren, Immigration Lawyer and founder of We are asked the following question: If I have a work visa can my spouse work?

Work Permit Options for Spouse

Well, the answer really depends on the kind of visa that was issued. So for example, if you were issued an H-1B visa, that’s a specialty occupation visa to the United States, the answer generally is, no. There is really no provision for your spouse to get a visa, although they are thinking of changing that to make things easier. However, if you are issued an E2 visa, for example, which is an investor visa, your spouse would be able to apply for a visa, on the basis that you have an E2, you’re the principal applicant. So it really depends on the kind of visa, the work visa that was issued to you.

On the Canadian side, the same applies. Generally if you get a work visa, the spouse of the principal applicant can apply in most cases for a work permit because the principal applicant has the visa.

Work Eligibility Is Determined by the Type of Work Permit

So it really, really depends on the kind of work permit you have and the country you’re getting the visa from. Now, in some cases if there is no provision for a spouse to get a work visa, that spouse could always apply on his or her own but of course you have to qualify in your own right. So we’ve had cases where both spouses have had work visas and have applied on their own. So there are options it all depends again, on the visa in question. Thank you and have a great day and don’t hesitate to visit us on

Are You a Spouse Interested in Getting a Work Permit?

If you have immigration questions, VisaPlace is here to guide you through the immigration process. We work with qualified immigration lawyers who can help you with your work permit application. Contact us to book a consultation.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Ayman almarei

    I was in Canada for around 7 years.
    I went there in April 2009 until augest 2016 .
    I went there as visitor and after that I stay in Canada and make a refuge and after 2 years I get refuse from the refuge .
    Then I get married and also after the interview they refuse me also.
    And my ex wife she cancel the sponsor after they refuse me.
    After that the immigration asked me to leave canada and I did. So I left the country legally in august 2016 and now I’m in Jordan.
    My question is :
    If this story will effect my case if I will try to come back to Canada as study visa or anything else?

    • Immigration Lawyers

      Hi Ayman,

      Thank you for contacting us at VisaPlace! There are many things that may affect your visa application but with the help of an immigration lawyer we may be able to dismiss the issue. Hiring an immigration lawyer will help you get answers to all of your questions, plus it will increase the chance of getting a visa approved. Please, complete this form for me it is just a quick and easy way for me to learn more details about your situation so that I will be able to advise you accurately and determine the best avenue for us to take to give you the best legal advice.

      The above response is for informational purposes only and does not form a lawyer-client relationship nor should it be construed to be legal advice.

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Completely smooth process. Rania did a great job in my Canada work permit. The team is absolutely competent and knowledgeable. Alicea was so amazing and was able to answer any of my questions immediately. I had peace of mind throughout the application. I would recommend them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications.

Theressa Jaranillain the last week

I highly recommend VisaPlace to anyone seeking help with navigating the legal minefield that is Permanent Residency. As someone who is very easily stressed, Lauren & Mariana have saved me a lot of sleepless nights. They are fast, efficient, reliable and honest and I will be telling any of my friends to use them for immigration. Thanks to them, my future with my husband in Canada is bright

Hannah James2 weeks ago

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugha month ago