What are the Requirements for an Immigration Consultant in Toronto?

Immigration consultants in Toronto

Prospective immigrants have plenty of choice when it comes to who helps them with the Canadian immigration process, and one of those choices is to use an immigration consultant. An immigration consultant is different than an immigration lawyer. Immigration Consultant in Toronto

An immigration lawyer has completed years of schooling in law school and has gone on to do a minimum 10 months of “articling”, which is similar to what a doctor does in his or her residency. Articling is basically an apprenticeship with another lawyer who is licensed, or in a law firm. They are also licensed to practice immigration law.

Immigration consultants must also complete their educational requirements by graduating from a certificate or diploma program, as well as study under the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants.

There are great immigration lawyers and great immigration consultants available to immigrants, but there are also some bad apples in each industry – like any other. After several stories of immigrants fraudulently coming to Canada under the advice of their immigration consultants, the government of Canada created Bill C-35, which came into effect in June of 2011. This bill helps regulate the industry and creates the following requirements for immigration consultants:

Requirements for immigration consultants

– An immigration consultant must be an accredited immigration representative in order to charge for immigration advice.

– Immigration consultants must be members of the governing body for immigration consultants.

– Immigration consultants also have a new regulatory body, the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council.

Immigration consultants who break the above rules will be subject to a $10,000 fine or two years in prison.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago