Can I Immigrate to Canada With a Criminal Record?

(Below is a transcription of this video)

Hi. My name is Michael Niren. I’m an immigration lawyer and founder of Today we have a question: Can I immigrate to Canada if I
have a criminal record?

Well, the answer is it depends. It depends on the seriousness of the
offense and the circumstances. In many cases, if you have a criminal
record, a DUI, an assault charge, for example, you may be able to still
immigrate to Canada, but you’re going to have to apply for what is called
the TRP, or a Temporary Resident Permit, which is a special permit which
will enable you to come to Canada, despite the fact that you’re
inadmissible on criminal grounds.

Immigrating to Canada With a Criminal Record

Now, it all depends on the nature of the offense and how long ago it was,
and how many… There’s a lot of things you have to take into account to
evaluate whether or not there’s going to be a problem. So, if you intend to
immigrate to Canada, and you have a criminal offense, it’s very important
to retain the services of an immigration lawyer, especially in a case like
this, to investigate your situation and give you proper advice.

We Can Help to Give You Immigration Options

The application can take longer than normal, given the complexity of the
situation. The general answer to the question is, in most cases, there is
an option of coming to Canada if you have an offense. Some cases are very,
very serious, where the application will likely be refused. If the
application is refused, there’s also the option of appealing the refusal,
which is another process, and it’s quite involved as well.

So hopefully, this gives you some idea of what’s involved. Thank you, and
have a great day.

Contact our experienced team today, and let us help you with your options for entering Canada with a criminal record.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh3 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre3 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheonga month ago