Bill C-6 Creates an Easier Path to Citizenship
Apply for Canadian Citizenship Earlier Than Ever Before
Last week, the Canadian government approved Bill C-6, which will make it easier for people to immigrate to Canada. This new law benefits permanent residents because it permits them to obtain Canadian citizenship quicker than in the past. The bill was accompanied by a positive statement from Ahmed Hussen (Canadian Immigration Minister) who claimed, “We want all permanent residents, if possible, to become Canadians.” This was coupled with a remark about individuals feeling drawn to Canada well before they obtain permanent residency. His entire disposition towards Canadian immigration was welcoming and enthusiastic.
The changes brought by Bill C-6 include the following:
- Elimination of the “intent to reside” requirement
- Immigrants must reside in the country for at least 1,095 days over the course of five years.
- Permanent residents are permitted to include 365 days of their temporary time in Canada towards their citizenship applications
- The government can no longer take away the citizenship of Canadians who have dual citizenship because of National Security reasons
- Children under the age of 18 can apply for Canadian citizenship without parental consent
- Knowledge of the country and its language are required for those aged 18-54
- People who obtained their Canadian citizenship in a fraudulent manner can make an appeal
With a faster way to obtain citizenship in Canada, people will enjoy all of the benefits that come with Canadian citizenship. These benefits include a Canadian passport, the right to run for office, and the right to live in the country, among others. Canada has a reputation for being an inviting country, and this new law adds to the beauty of such a reputation. We are excited about the positive step the government has taken for their immigrants, and we look forward to Canada’s future as we await Canada Day on Saturday.
Do you want to immigrate to Canada?
Fill out our FREE online immigration assessment, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
WE WANT YOUR FEEDBACK!
What do you think about Bill C-6?
Comment below, we want to hear your opinion!
KelownaNow. "Immigrants will now be eligible for Canadian citizenship sooner." Kelowna Now. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 June 2017.
Shukla, Vikas. "Bill C-6 Becomes Law; Makes The Path To Canadian Citizenship Smoother." ValueWalk. ValueWalk, 20 June 2017. Web. 26 June 2017.
About Immigration Lawyers
The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.