Is Same Sex Immigration to Canada possible for Gay and Lesbian couples?

We are a same sex couple from New York and wish to immigrate to Canada. How can this be achieved?


For years, Canada has recognized the validity of same sex relationships and considers them on equal par with more traditional family unions. If you are married as a same sex couple or have been in a common law or conjugal relationship together for one year or longer, you could be eligible for sponsorship under the Family Class. If your partner and yourself are neither Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada, it may be possible that one of you may qualify under the Canadian skilled worker category and the other can apply as a dependent spouse.

In most states in the US and in other countries, same sex marriage is prohibited. Here in Ontario, same sex couples can indeed get legally married. However, whether you are legally married in Canada or elsewhere, you can file for sponsorship or otherwise consider a common law or conjugal application.

Same sex immigration applications are supposed to be treated in the same manner as  all other applications. However we have found that generally a higher level of scrutiny is often applied to these applications. Therefore it is very important to document your relationships very well in preparation for your applications. This immigration office sees a great deal of same sex cases and, like other immigration applications, there is no substitute for well-prepared applications and applicants.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Zulkaif Amin

    I’m a Pakistani
    And I’m in relationship in some one last 5 years
    So plz tell how can apply couple visa for same sex immigration

    • Rachel

      Hi Zulkaif,

      Thank you for contacting us at VisaPlace! If either you or your partner or both have skilled work experience, you may be eligible to immigrate through the Express Entry program. We would need to learn more about your situation to better determine your eligibility, but are happy to help. Hiring an immigration lawyer will help you get answers to all of your questions, plus it will increase the chance of getting a visa approved. Please, complete this form for me it is just a quick and easy way for me to learn more details about your situation so that I will be able to advise you accurately and determine the best avenue for us to take to give you the best legal advice.

      The above response is for informational purposes only and does not form a lawyer-client relationship nor should it be construed to be legal advice.

  • Robbie H

    I applied for a PRC almost a year ago as a same sex couple with my partner as my sponsor. The attorney’s office asked for a lot of things that we considered to be personal (photos, cards, emails, letters,etc)and assured us all this was necessary to establish the truth in the relationship…at times we thought there was nothing more they could ask has taken almost a year but I am happy to say that this week I received in my hand my passport with my Permanent Residence Visa inserted.
    All along the way we dealt with several folks, but we are most happy with Johanna Karatsoreos…she made sure that we were kept informed of any new developments in our case, and did not hesitate to provide us with answers to any questions that we had.
    Her professionalism and dedication to the client made us comfortable with the entire process.
    And to the rest of the folks at Niren and Associates, we appreciate all your hard work and dedication in making our dream become a reality.
    Robbie H

    • Thank you Robbie for your kind words. It was a pleasure working with you.

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Thanks to Alicea and Rania for their excellent service. This is the 2 nd time we are using them and they have always delivered successful results, even where other law firms has been unsuccessful. Alicea has been especially helpful and available to address all our concerns. She has an excellent work ethic. We will be using them again and always recommend them to our friends.

K Win the last week

Migrating is a hard task for anyone. Finding a job is even harder. Once I got a job offer, things started moving rapidly. So, I called used VisaPlace (Niren and associates) to assist with the process. Rania and Richard deserve the utmost respect in getting the job done. They have been patient with me and some set backs. Very professional.! Hands down, money was well spent. Thanks Rania and Richard, you make an awesome team. You'll definitely have a repeat customer with me !! I was very impressed at how well they were organized and had a positive experience. Very good and professional work led to a successful outcome. I highly recommend using VisaPlace.

RenaisTT4 weeks ago

I'll like to say I had an awesome initial consultation with Rania Abboud. She was knowledgeable, made the initial process easy and understood my situation. I am excited and hopeful to continue consulting this company. You do a great job for immigrants. Also, Natalie Walcz was great, she handled my situation professionally. Great team. Definitely assets to your company.

Jeffery Yirenkyia month ago