Immigration Consultants and Immigration Lawyers: Who is Who?

Immigration Consultants Vs. Immigration Lawyers

In our Toronto office, we often we get asked about what is the difference between immigration lawyers and immigration consultants. After all, both immigration consultants and immigration lawyers offer services related to helping people with their immigration and visa applications. Many immigration Canada consultants in Toronto and elsewhere are very good at what they do and some are not so reputable. The same can be said for lawyers. However, you should be aware that to become either an immigration lawyer or immigration consultant there are certain educational requirements that have to be met, at least in the province of Ontario.

Educational requirements for immigration lawyers and immigration consultants

For instance, in order to become a licensed lawyer in Ontario, you have to go to law school, graduate and then undergo 10 months of “articling” which is like an apprenticeship with another licensed lawyer or law firm. As you can imagine, that is a lot of schooling. And to even get into law school, you have complete at least 2 years of undergraduate university courses under your belt (in most cases, a full 3 year B.A.) and have very high grades. Finally, all lawyers have to pass their Bar Examinations which permit them to actually practice law with a license.  The Bar course that lawyers have to take consists of both practical and ethical components.You therefore know when hiring a licensed lawyer to assist you with your immigration and visa case, he or she has undergone extensive training and obviously has completed and passed a lot of difficult exams! Of course, there is no substitute for experience. In deciding on an immigration lawyer, it is really important to ask the right questions about that lawyer’s experience in dealing in a wide range of immigration cases.

In terms of Toronto immigration consultants and consultants in other cities in Ontario, they also have to meet certain requirements in order to legally represent clients in Ontario. According to the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants, known as CSIC, consultants have to be Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents and a graduate of an accredited immigration certificate or diploma program. They will also have to complete a mandatory pre-admission course for membership into CSIC. Immigration Consultants also have to pass a language proficiency test, show proof of good character and have no criminal record.Finally, both immigration lawyer and immigration consultant have to have liability insurance which is very important to protect client and representative where there are claims of liability.Regardless of whether you are considering hiring an immigration lawyer or immigration consultant in Toronto or elsewhere, it is important that you do your due diligence in terms of looking into the background of the professional you are considering. There is even no harm in asking to see a copy of their license to practice immigration before signing up for their services.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • consultantsvisa

    hi your blog is very nice & thanks for sharing the information.

    • Immigration Lawyers

      Thank you! We are glad you enjoyed reading it!

  • Parker

    Such a nice article, Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us……………….

    • Immigration Lawyers

      Thank you, Parker! We are glad that you enjoyed it!

  • brigadevisas

    Really it’s a nice article, thanks for sharing this….

    • Immigration Lawyers

      Thank you! We’re glad that you enjoyed it!

  • Eminence Immigration

    Really it was an awesome article… very interesting to read…
    Thanks for sharing….

    • Immigration Lawyers

      I am glad you enjoyed it! Thank you.

  • Sameh hassan hussein

    Dear sir,­
    I would like to know ­whether I have the ch­ance to immigrate wit­h my family or not.

    In addition, I have e­nclosed a copy of my ­cv and my spouse ‘s c­v.I would appreciate ­it if you could have ­a look on it.

    Also,I would be grate­ful if you could clar­ify the minimum requi­red score of the ielt­s exam for me and my ­spouse and should I h­ave a jop offer at fi­rst or I can start th­e immigration process­. I would be interest­ed in knowing the req­uired fees,if I am qu­alified.

    Best regards,­

    • Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello Sameh. There are many factors that need to be considered in order to determine eligibility. I am going to suggest that you contact us to make an appointment to talk with one of our immigration professionals who will be able to plan the best strategy for you and your spouse. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
      Regards, Muga

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago