B-1 Visa for Business Trip in the United States


A lot of foreign nationals don’t realize that even if they have a business trip in the United States, they may still require a visa. There are different types of visitor visas available for the United States, and one of those visas is the B-1 business visitor visa. If you are a Canadian citizen, you may be able to just apply for one at the border.

B-1 Visitor Visa For U.S. Business Trips

The difficult part of applying for a B-1 visitor visa is that it is not always easy to determine whether you require a B-1 visitor visa or a work permit for the United States. In addition, you must be able to demonstrate to United States immigration officials that you do not intend to work and are only going to be engaging in permitted activities.

Requirments for the B-1 Business Visitor Visa

In order to obtain a B-1 business visitor visa for the United States, you need to be engaging in permitted activities only, and not actually working on behalf of a United States employer. Some examples of allowed business activities include attending business meetings, consulting with associates, attending business conferences and conventions, negotiating contracts and investigating business opportunities.

You must be able to provide evidence when you apply for you B-1 business visitor visa that these activities will be all you’ll be engaging in, such as a letter from your employer or a letter from the organization that has invited you to the United States.

In addition, you must be able to show that you will be returning home after your trip as the B-1 business visitor visa is a temporary visa.

Are You Interested in a B-1 Business Visitor Visa  to the U.S.?

Do you have an upcoming business trip in the United States? VisaPlace can help you get there! The VisaPlace Group of Lawyers (VPGs) and their staff are all independent, licensed practitioners who understand how important it is for to you to achieve your immigration goals and have been trained to follow best practices and procedures to maximize your chances of success! Contact us to book a consultation.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

The team here is wonderful. They are so professional and capable of handling any immigration matters. I just received my Work Permit thanks to them. Thanks Alicea again for helping me! I highly highly recommend to try their services ❤❤

Cao My Duyena week ago

Money well spent! Very professional and thoughtful. I had a need to visit their office and was pleasantly surprised and was treated very cordially. My wife’s work permit came in several months early as did her permanent residency. Thank you Lisa and Laura!

Brian Bedford3 weeks ago

The agency is very capable and have a lot experience to handle USA immigration issues. My I -601 case was approved because of their help. I strongly recommend this wonderful agency.

James Yu2 weeks ago