US & Canada Immigration News

Fill out our immigration assessment form and we will get back to you within 24 hours to discuss your eligibility and immigration options.

How Canada Deports Permanent Residents Who Commit Crimes

deport-permanent-residentsThe Canadian Government’s recently introduced Faster Removal of Foreign Criminals Act has passed the House of Commons, and if it were to officially pass it would make it easier for the government to deport permanent residents who commit crimes.

Currently, it is difficult for the government to deport individuals from Canada because of procedural delays and appeals. As a result, people scheduled to be deported from Canada remain in the country for longer.

Fast-Tracked Deportation for Permanent Residents of Canada who Commit Crimes

Some of the chances the bill would make include:

  • Families of serious offenders can be denied entry to Canada.
  • The immigration minister can use his discretion to determine which people can or cannot enter Canada – meaning if someone has politics or views that aren’t very popular, they can be kept out of the country.
  • Permanent Residents who have committed a crime resulting in at least a six-month sentence in jail can be deported without appeal.

Currently, only people who have committed a crime resulting in more than two years in jail can be deported without appeal.

What are Examples of Canadian Offenses with Six Month Jail Sentences?

Some examples of offenses in Canada that can come with six-month jail sentences (which are considered minor offenses or summary offenses) include public nudity, vagrancy, trespassing at night, disturbing religious worship, engaging in a prize fight, theft under $5,000, defacing coins, mailing obscene materials, harassing telephone calls and loitering.

While it is understandable that the government should be able to remove dangerous criminals from the country faster, stripping someone of permanent resident status and deporting them from Canada for loitering is not the answer.

Are You a Permanent Resident Who Might Be Deported from Canada?

Are you living in Canada with permanent resident status and worried about deportation? It is important that you seek the advice of a qualified immigration lawyer. Book a consultation online or fill out our Free Online Assessment form for more information. We can help!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

Leave a Comment:

Your email address will not be published.


The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.