US & Canada Immigration News

Toll-Free: 1-866-929-0991

Outside of North America: +1-416-410-7484

How To Sponsor a Caregiver In the USA

Sponsor a Caregiver In the USA

Many people find themselves in need of a caregiver, whether for themselves, their children, a parent, or a disabled relative. Meanwhile, in addition to the challenges of managing childcare when many families have both parents working, AARP reports an impending shortage of family caregivers, in a country where a large portion of the population is approaching old age.

AARP states that “the supply of family caregivers is unlikely to keep pace with future demand,” with the ratio of caregivers 45-64 to individuals in the “high-risk years of 80-plus” predicted to rise to 4 to 1 in 2030. As a result, more people are expected to require institutional care rather than care by family members.

If you are considering looking outside the United States for possible caregiver options, you can go about sponsoring a caregiver in a few different ways. Each visa option comes with advantages and disadvantages, but once you know the requirements, you will be better able to determine which is likely to work for your family. Here are two of the common visas used to sponsor a caregiver.

J-1 Visa

This visa is helpful if you don’t have a specific foreign caregiver you would like to employ. With this visa, a family finds a caregiver through the Au Pair program.

According to the website for The U.S. Department of State’s Exchange Visitor Program, the program pairs program participants with a host family. The program participant works as an au pair for the family while studying abroad, providing “reliable and responsible childcare,” while the host shows the au pair “everyday life with an American family.”

The family does not sponsor the au pair directly. Instead, program sponsors are tasked with screening and selecting both the host family and the au pair. In addition to other duties, the sponsor provides the au pair with training in child development.

Au pairs must be secondary school graduates (or the equivalent) 18-26 years old who can speak English. They must be interviewed in person in English by an “organizational representative” (who will provide a report to the host family) and pass a background investigation. They are expected to both study and work while in the United States. Au pairs stay for 12 months, with the option to extend the visit by another six, nine, or 12 months.

Host families must be U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents who speak English fluently. In return for the assistance of the au pair offers, the family must provide a private room and board, a weekly stipend, and up to $500 toward the au pair’s required academic work, as well as facilitate the requirement that the au pair be enrolled at and attend an accredited post-secondary institution. The program has specific requirements regarding minimum time off for the au pair and requires that the family include the au pair in “family meals, outings, holidays, and other events” whenever it is possible to do so.

H-2B Visa

This visa allows a family to sponsor a specific caregiver themselves, though the process is more complex. As U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) explains, the visa allows certain employers to hire foreign nationals to fill temporary nonagricultural jobs. In this case, the family sponsoring a caregiver would need to prove that there are not enough U.S. workers who can do the work and that hiring a worker through the H-2B program will not “adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed U.S. workers. The family must also show that their need for the caregiver’s services or labor is temporary as well as provide a valid temporary labor certification from the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL). USCIS states that there are three major steps to the process:

1. The petitioner (in this case, the family sponsoring the caregiver) submits a temporary labor certification application to DOL.
2. The petitioner submits Form l-129 to USCIS.
3. Prospective workers outside the U.S. apply for a visa (or  admission to the United States in H-2B classification with CBP in cases where a visa is not required).

There is an annual cap of 66,000 H-2B visas (H-2B workers “identified as ‘returning workers'” are exempt). It is also important to check whether the caregiver you wish to employ is from a country on the H-2B Eligible Countries List.

We Can Help With Caregiver Sponsorship

Are you interested in immigrating to the U.S. or moving to Canada? Contact VisaPlace today.

All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Click here to book a consultation with an immigration professional or fill out our FREE assessment and we will get back to you within 24 hours

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

4 thoughts on “How To Sponsor a Caregiver In the USA

  1. Elma Benico

    Hi I’m elmz from Philippines I’m 26.I I’ve been working as a child care @ nany here in Doha Qatar but at the end of September my contract will end so I planned to apply in US as a child it possible for me to apply there?? Tnx

    1. Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello Elma. We will need to know more about your situation. I am going to suggest that you contact us to make an appointment to talk with one of our immigration professionals who will be able to plan the best strategy for you. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-416-410-7484 or online at
      Regards, Muga

  2. Josna jobins

    I am josna i am a registered nurse in india .i would likes to work as a nanny or caregiver in united states .

    1. Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello Josna. I am going to suggest that you contact us to make an appointment to talk with one of our immigration professionals who will be able to plan the best strategy for you. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-416-410-7484 or online at
      Regards, Muga


Leave a Comment:

Your email address will not be published.


The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.