Canadian Permanent Resident Card and Renewal FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions about Canadian Permanent Resident Cards

Here are some common questions our office receives about Canadian Permanent Resident cards (also called PR cards).  You may also read our website for more information about Permanent Residence Card rules and about the residency requirements for maintaining your card.

How long does it take to get a Canadian Permanent Resident Card?

If you are applying for a Permanent Residence Card at the border for the first time (that is, you are getting landing status) you will receive the card in the mail within 4-6 weeks. So the time to get your Permanent Resident card is about a month and a half.   The time for everyone else to get their first PR card in Canada is approximately 6-8 weeks, give or take.

How long does it take renew a Canadian Permanent Resident Card?

If you meet the residency requirements, and there are no issues with your application, it takes approximately 6-8 weeks for the residence card to be processed.  However, if  Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) decides to investigate your matter or if they are concerned with your application, the processing time may take longer depending on the nature of the investigation they undertake.  There may be up to several months delay.

Once my card is approved, where do I pick up my Canadian Permanent Resident Card?

If you are in Toronto, most likely you will be directed to the CIC office located at Yonge and St. Clair.  The exact information will be provided to you in a letter sent by CIC.

When I pick up my Canadian Permanent Resident Card, what documents do I need to take with me?

CIC will send you a letter with a list of documents you will need to provide.  But you should be prepared to bring all of the original documents you included in your application.

What do I do if I lost my Canadian Permanent Resident Card?

If you lose your Permanent Resident Card, you must contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada immediately (call 1-888-242-2100 or go to the nearest office) and also make an application for a new card.

How do I change my address on my Canadian Permanent Resident Card?

To change the address on your Permanent Residence Card, you may contact the CIC Call Center at 1-888-242-2100, or you may write to the office notifying them of change of address.

Can I travel or drive to the United States with a Canadian Permanent Resident Card?

It depends. You must meet the requirements to enter the US, including obtaining an entry visa from the US Consulate, as well, if it is suggested that you travel with a valid passport.

Can I travel to the US with an expired Canadian Permanent Resident Card?

This depends on various factors and we recommend that you do not travel with an expired PR card.  Generally, if you have a valid US visa and a valid passport, you may be allowed entry into the US if the US immigration officer is satisfied that the purpose of your entry to the United States is only temporary.  However, you will most likely encounter difficulty returning to Canada with an expired PR and you may be refused entry to Canada.  Please contact one of our lawyers for further information.

Can I travel abroad with an expired Canadian Permanent Resident Card?

We recommend that you obtain a renewal of your card in advance.  However, if the nature of your travel is urgent, you may ask for expedited processing of your PR card. You may leave Canada with an expired PR card, however to return you will need to obtain a Travel Permit from a Canadian immigration office abroad.

What do I do if my Canadian Permanent Resident Card expired while I am abroad?

If you are outside Canada and your Permanent Card  has expired, you should go to the nearest Canadian Embassy or Consulate and apply for a Travel Document.

How do I expedite getting my Canadian Permanent Resident Card in case of emergency?

There are various factors that can be used to expedite the processing of the PR card.  It is advisable that you contact one of our lawyers for further information.

For LMIA information – please see here.

address card toronto canada address change permanent resident card address change pr card canada after getting PR cards APPLICATIONS RECEIVED FOR CANADIAN PR 2010 canada give up pr card canada leaving before pr card canada permanent resident card 2011 canada permanent resident card expired canada pr application faq canada pr card faq canada PR card no visa canada pr card processing time Canada PR cards expedited canada pr renewal canada pr visa received canadian first PR canadian P.R issues canadian permanent residency passport requirements Canadian Permanent Resident Card canadian permanent resident card address Canadian permanent resident card category canadian permanent resident card lost canadian permanent resident travel faq canadian pr card + us travel canadian pr card expired canadian pr card not received canadian pr card processing time canadian pr cards processing times canadian pr while in india cancellatio of canadian permanent residence CHANGE ADDRESS PERMANENT RESIDENCE change address permanent residence card change address permanent resident card chAnge address pr card change of address after PR change of address permanent resident change of address+pr card change pr card address canada changing address on rp card delay in recieving pr card enter USA with PR-Card expedite permanent resident card expediting a pr card expediting permanent resident card expediting permanent resident card renewal expediting PR card expired permanent residence card expired permanent resident card canada expired permanent resident card what expired PR card expired pr card canada getting first PR card toronto give up PR card having an expired PR card how long take pr renewal i lost my canadian permanent resident card if i lost my pr card immigration canada expedite is common-law pr applications harder j enriquez candian embassy manila leave canada expired PR leaving canada before pr card lose permanent resident card lost lost canadian permanent resident card lost canadian pr lost green card vancouver lost permanent resident card lost permanent resident card canada lost pr card outside canada mistake in pr card nationality my pr card expired need urgent canadian pr card new immigration pr card time obtaining canadian pr from india Perm residence card change address permanent Resedent card canada expire permanent residence canada address change permanent residence card in india permanent residence card skilled worker permanent residence card urgent permanent residence card vancouver permanent residency canada address change permanent resident canada faq Permanent Resident Card permanent resident card address change permanent resident card address changed permanent resident card canada delay permanent resident card difficulties permanent resident card expedite permanent resident card expired permanent resident card processing time permanent resident card renewal urgent permanent resident card renewal vancouver permanent resident card travel us permanent resident card vancouver office permanent resident card wait times permanent resident change address permanent resident change of address permanent resident letter from cic permanent resident renewal canada form Permanent visa expired canada permanet resident card arrival time PERMENANT RESIDENCE CARD ADDRESS CHANGE pick up pr card toronto PR car expired travel pr card address canada PR card address change pr card address change timing pr card agent 6 weeks pr card call centre pr card canada not received pr card canada processing time pr card canada urgent pr card change address pr card change of address PR card changing address PR card delay contact pr card delay in canada pr card expedited pr card expedited canada PR Card Expired PR card expiry month year pr card for 1st time PR card frequently aske questions pr card lost pr card lost toronto pr card mailing adress change pr card office in edmonton pr card office toronto pr card pick up questions pr card pick up toronto pr card pick up vancouver pr card pickup in toronto pr card pickup toronto pr card pickup vancouver pr card processing center pr card processing centre pr card processing time pr card processing time canada PR card processing time longer pr card processing times pr card processing urgent canada PR card renew waiting time pr card renewal +toronto PR card renewal delay PR card renewal delay april 2011 pr card renewal investigation pr card renewal urgent pr card renewal urgent fee pr card renewal wait time pr card travelling to us pr card urgent processing time pr card urgent renewal process PR card urgently PR cared processing center Prc card address prc expired while abroad processing times for pr card renew permanent resident card time renew pr card prblems renewed PR card expiary date renewing canadian residency renewing permanent residence card embassy renewing pr card chances resident card change of address RULES FOR LEAVING CANADA taking someone's pr card time for pr card office times permanent residence card toronto travel permanent resident card expired travel US with PR card travelling on expired PR card travelling with expired pr card urgent permanent resident card time urgent pr card urgent pr card process time urgent pr card processing time urgent pr card renewal URGENT PR CARD REQUIREMENT us permanent resident card us permanent resident card rules USA WITH PR CARD vancouver permanent resident card photos waiting for first pr card when canadian PR card expire

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

97 Responses to “Canadian Permanent Resident Card and Renewal FAQ”

  1. Daniel says:

    HI I am a permanent resident. I am having a little trouble regarding my PR renewal. They received my application on December 2012, and shows that it was sent to local CIC at Toronto on Feb 12th 2013. I had been waiting for my new PR card for almost 5 months and i have to go back to my country on June 21st 2013. So I sent them a copy of my flight ticket in PDF file through email, hoping that they could speed up the process. However, I got a reply saying that they can’t do anything about it without providing any reasons. I called them right away and still got the same answer. I have two questions:

    1. Is there anything i can do about this situation?
    2. If i had to apply for a travel document how long does it take to apply it. Will it take more than 1 months?

    Thank you so much

    • Michael Niren says:

      Hi Daniel

      Your application for PR renewal is taking a long time it seems. We can help here. If you have an urgent need to travel you can contact us right away.


  2. keshav thakur says:

    hii when i was 18 my parents took me back to india i had my pr which got expired i want to come back to my country now what is the procedure to come back as i am 22 and can come by my own….

    • Michael Niren says:

      Hello Keshav
      Thank you for your question. If you have been out of Canada for four years then you may have difficulty reviewing your PR card. You would have to apply for a renewal based on humanitarian grounds. You may have a good case given that your parents were in control of your situation at the time
      Best of Luck

  3. Mia says:


    I’m a newly landed immigrant in Winnipeg under Provincial Nominee Program (with PR status). It’s been tough finding a job in my professional field here, and I’m seeing a lot of opportunities for me in other provinces. However, I cannot move out of Winnipeg because I have to settle here first. My question is (exactly) how many years should I stay/settle here before I can actually decide to move to another province? I hope you can help me find answer/s to this question. Thank you and have a blessed day!

    • Michael Niren says:

      Hello Mia

      Thank you for your question. If you came to Winnipeg under the PNP Program it depends when you arrived. In most cases, PNP programs require applicants to remain in the province for a number of years. However, once you are a PR, you have the right of mobility under our Charter of Right and Freedoms. You would best to contact an immigration lawyer to resolve this one.

      Michael Niren

  4. Jiff says:

    Hi Alieia

    Another PR question regarding my older sister.

    We as a family immigrated to Canada and lived there for approximately a month. Then moved out of Canada with my parents. My older sister is that timeonly 21 years and 4 months old. And she was time to time going to Canada to ful fill her residential rtequirements but now not in a position to fulfill the 730 days obligation. She was still studying outside Canada and only visited Canada in her school vacation to ful fill the rsidential obligation but failed. Is it possible to count her absence from Canada as days for residential requirements as parents moved out of Canada?
    Thank you

  5. Jiff says:

    Dear Aliecia

    It is a wonderful site o get more information rgarding PR problems and thank you for it.
    My question is that : I entered Canada at the age of 19 yrs and my rother at the age of 12 years with my parents. However my parents went out of Canada with us and we are now not in aposition to fulfill the rresidential requirements of 730 days . Can my brother and I do qualify for our absent days from Canada as qualifying days as we were with our parents (Canadian pemanent residents) outside Canada?
    Thank you

  6. Mohamed Ali says:

    I became a PR recently (came to Canada through spouse). But I had to return to my native country before recieving the PR card since my mom got sick. Now the deadline to recieve the PR card has come and still my relatives back in Canada have not recieved the PR card. Can I call the call center from here and inquire about the card? What are the chances of my travel document being refused?

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Mohamed,

      You may contact CIC and follow up on the status of your PR card. It is hard to comment on the chances of hainvg your Travel Document application approved or refused. Approval of Travel Document applications highly depends on the discretion of the officer reviewing your file. To be successful you need to clearly present the reasons why you had to return to your home country (i.e. your mother’s illness) under the Humanitarian and Compassionate consideration and why you need to return to Canada in a convincing manner. For this type of application, I suggest that you consult with a qualified immigration lawyer with more detailed information regarding your situation to better assess your situation.

      Thank you.

      Hope this helps.

  7. Jennifer says:

    I became a Canadian permanent resident in April 2007. I had to leave Canada right after I became a PR and returned to Canada in September 2011. I have been living in Canada since September 2011. My PR Card expires in April 2012. I would like to remain in Canada until I meet my residency obligation even after my PR Card expires.

    Also, is it okay for me to travel outside of Canada after my PR Card expires?

    Thanks very much

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Jennifer,

      As long as you entered Canada while your PR Card was still valid, you may remain in Canada until your PR Card expires in September 2011.

      However, please note that since permanent residents who have not met the residency requirement of being in Canada for at least 2 years out of 5 may be considered to have lost their permanent residence, in which case they will be required to leave Canada. Since you will not have met your residency obligation by the time your PR Card expires, you would have renew your PR Card based on Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds. You need to explain the extenuating circumstances why you were unable to meet the residency obligation. If the immigration officer is satisfied there are sufficient Humanitarian and Compassionate (H&C) grounds, the officer will renew it even though you have not met the residency requirement.

      A PR card renewal application based on H&C grounds looks at exceptional circumstances that prevented you from returning to Canada, this application has to be prepared and presented in a convincing manner with sufficient documentation to support your case. I strongly recommend that you consult with an immigration lawyer to better assess your situations to submit a strong application for you.

      With regards to your travel plan, I recommend that you do not travel outside of Canada. You may apply for a Travel Document to return to Canada. However, there is no guarantee that a Travel Document will be issued to you and especially for those who have not met the residency obligation, the chances are lower. You may apply for a Travel Document based on H&C grounds, but again you have to present a strong and persuasive application to be approved. I suggest that you consult with a qualified immigration lawyer.

      Thank you.

  8. chetan says:

    Hi Alicia,
    My application for renewal of PR card has been approved and I need to collect it in person. Coming in from outside Canada, if I enter Canada by car from the USA, will I still need a permanent resident travel document or I can enter using my expired PR card?

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Chetan,

      You would have to apply for a travel document prior to your entry to Canada to pick up your renewed PR card. Since your PR card renewal application has been approved, it would be a good idea to include a copy of the approval letter when applying for a travel document.

      Thank you.

  9. Afsheen says:

    My Canadian PR card has expired. Can someone help me what I can do next.

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Afsheen,

      If your PR Card has expired and you have not met the residency obligation, depending on the reason why you were unable to meet the residency obligation, you might be able to apply for a renewal. For example, you may count each day that you accompanied a Canadian citizen provided that the person you accompanied is your spouse or common law partner or parent, if you are less than 22 years of age. You may also count each day you worked outside Canada provided that you were employed by a Canadian employer.

      If none of these applies to your case, you may still renew based on Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds.

      However, I would need more details about your situation in order to better assess your options.

      Hope this helps.

  10. chetan says:

    Your blog has been very helpful before. My question is: I have just been granted renewal for my PR card (my old card has expired) and I need to pick it up in person. However, I am traveling outside Canada. what documentation would I need to re-enter Canada to collect my renewed PR card? will I need a travel document or just a visit visa?
    Thanks a lot for your help,

  11. Lanita says:

    Excellent goods from you, man. I’ve keep in mind your stuff previous to and you are simply extremely wonderful. I actually like what you’ve acquired right here, really like what you are stating and the way wherein you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it smart. I can’t wait to read much more from you. That is actually a wonderful site.

  12. Sam says:

    Hi, I landed in Ontario in June and was told I will receive my PR card by mail. I have to go to South Africa to carry on with my final year of school. I haven’t received my PR card even after 8 weeks. Am I able to leave Canada and obtain a travel document from the immigration office in South Africa travel to Canada?

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Sam,

      Yes, you may apply for a Travel Document at the local visa office responsible for your area. Please ensure to bring all your landing documents with you when you travel outside of Canada.

      Thank you.

  13. pawan says:


    Can someone who has applied under the Provincial Nominee Program for one province later change his/her mind and settle in a different province? Or will this pose serious problems in the future when applying for Canadian citizenship?

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Pawan,

      Individuals who never intended or no longer intend to reside in the nominating province may be denied permanent resident status at the Port of Entry and may have a report written against them.

      You must be mindful of the requirement to be truthful in your application. You have declared, at the time of the application, that you intend to live and work in the nominee province. The intention to settle in a province under a Provincial Nominee Program must not be perceived to be untruthful as giving false statements is an offence under the Immigration Act. Should you move out of the nominee province, you must be able to prove that you have made efforts in good faith to settle in the nominee province before moving to a different province. Otherwise, you may face some consequences including your sponsor being prohibited from sponsoring other relatives or friends to the province in the future.

  14. KANNAN says:


    I became a Canadian PR in March, 2007. I stayed in Canada until May, 2008, but went to the U.S. to attend a school there. I have come back to Canada for vacations/breaks a few times.

    My PR Card expries in August, 2012. Can I renew my PR without any problems?

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Kannan,

      In order to renew your PR, you must meet your residency obligation (you have to be present in Canada for at least 2 years in a 5 year period). If you were outside of Canada and won’t be able to meet the residency obligation by August, 2012, you won’t be eligible to renew your PR Card.

      However, you may apply for a renewal based on the Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds. Just like your case, our office often has clients who were not able to meet their residency obligations due to their education outside of Canada. In our submission, we include a detailed explanation as to why you have failed to meet your residency obligation in Canada and why you should still be allowed to renew your PR Card. The reasons have to be presented in a compelling manner in order to persuade the immigration officer to allow you to maintain your PR status. Otherwise, you will lose your PR status.

      Thank you.

  15. reza says:


    If I cannot complete my PR residency obligation, can I delay the renewal of PR card until I complete 730 days in Canada?

    Thank you

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Reza,

      If you have not met the residency requirements, you would have to renew it on the humanitarian and compassionate grounds. You should make the application before the expiry date of your PR Card.

      Thank you.

  16. jhorja says:


    I am a PR in Canada. I am just wondering if I can go back to my home country for more than 6 months. For how long am I allowed to stay outside of Canada in order not to have any problems when renewing my PR?

    Thank you.

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Jhorja,

      To renew your PR, you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past five 5 years. As long as you meet this residency obligation, you should be able to renew your PR without any problem.

      Thank you.

  17. consuelo ocampo says:


    I applied for my PR in December, 2009 and got a work permit in September, 2010.

    In October, 2010, I sent the last piece of information they asked. When I check my status online, it says “A decision has been made”, but I haven’t heard from them.

    How long it will take to get my PR Card? I really want to go to Mexico and visit my family there for my parents’ 50th wedding anniversary. Is there a way that I can go to Mexico before I get my PR Card?

    Thank You for your help.

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Consuelo,

      The current processing time for PR Cards is 33 business days after your complete package is received. It might be a good idea for you to contact the Call Centre.

      It is recommended that you wait until you have received your PR Card before leaving Canada. However, if you wish to leave before you get your PR Card, you can apply for a Travel Document.

      Thank you.

  18. Kshama Jain Shrawane says:

    I am Kshama Jain. I have 2 questions:

    1. My PR Card has expired on March 3, 2011. But, I am still outside Canada. Can I still renew my PR Card?

    2. How can I visit my husband in Canada?

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Kshama,

      If you have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past five years, you may renew your PR Card. Even if you did not meet this residency obligation, you may still renew based on Humanitarian and Compassionate (H&C) grounds. For this, you need to demonstrate strong ties to Canada along with strong reasons why you had to be absent from Canada. As H&C applications usually involve much discretion on the part of the visa officer reviewing your file, it may be necessary to hire an immigration lawyer to carefully prepare persuasive submissions in order to be successful the first time.

      You may visit your husband by applying for a Temporary Resident Visa. However, depending on where you are coming from, you may be able to visit Canada without a visa.

      Hope this helps.

    • Kshama Jain Shrawane says:

      1. My visa of Canadian PR (it is not Canadian PR, but the 1st step of obtaining PR) required me to cross the Canadian boarders by 3/3/2011. However, I failed to do so. Now what do I do?

      2. I need to visit Canada for my husband’s work. Which visa should I apply for?

      • Alicia Kim says:

        If you mean Canada Immigration Visa, as a general rule, the expiry date on your Canada Immigration Visa will not be extended or renewed. Failure to land in Canada before the expiry date may result in the necessity of re-application. I would suggest that you consult an immigration lawyer to see if there is anything that you may still be able to do.

        It is not very clear from your question what the purpose of your visit is to Canada. If you simply want to visit Canada for a short period of time, you may apply for a TRV.

  19. mohamad says:


    I am a perminent resident, but my PR Card expired in September, 2010. Unfortunately, I could not renew it in time because of some trouble I had with Immigration. If I leave Canada and want to come back after two weeks, how can I return to Canada with my expired PR Card?

    Thanks for your advice. I will look forward to your answer.

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Mohamad,

      This is a very common situation for permanent residents. If your PR Card has expired and you are outside Canada, you must obtain a Travel Document which will allow you to travel back to Canada. You should make an application at the Canadian visa office responsible for your area. If you have resided in Canada for at least two years in the five year period, they will most likely issue you the Travel Document and allow you to return to Canada.

      Hope this helps.

  20. Bruce says:


    My PR Card renewal application has been approved and I recieved a letter stating that I have to pick up my new PR Card on March 22, 2011. Since I am leaving town, I wish to pick up my PR Card more quickly so that I will have my new PR card before I leave Canada. What should I do?

    Thank you.

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Bruce,

      When you first submitted your application for a renewal, you could have expedited your PR Card process by showing proof that you will be travelling out of the country or have a valid reason of urgency.

      I recommend that you wait until you recieve your PR Card before leaving Canada. However, if circumstances do not allow you to wait, you can apply for a Travel Document at the Canadian visa office responsible for your area. If you have met the residency obligation, you will most likely be issued a Travel Document. Also, if you are from a visa-exempt country, you may be able to return without a PR card with minimal difficulty.

      Hope this helps.

  21. Evgueni R. says:

    Dear Sir,

    I left Canada in 2003 after becoming a PR. However, I wasn’t able to return to Canada for 7 years because of my mother’s illness. She passed away in 2007. Now, my PR Card has expired. I already know that I need to apply for a Travel Document to travel to Canada. What are my chances of getting approved?

    Thank you.

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Evgueni R,

      If you show that you have met the residency obligation, the Canadian office abroad will most likely issue you the Travel Document and allow you to return to Canada. Even if you have not met the residency requirement, you may make humanitarian and compassionate arguments as to why you have been outside of Canada. You may argue that you were not able to return to Canada because of your mother’s illness. It seems that you may also have to explain why you did not return to Canada after your mother passed away in 2007.

      Other than this, it is hard to give you any accurate prediction because the decision whether to grant a Travel Document will depend on each case and the immigration officer reviewing your file.

      Hope this helps.

  22. ramakrishna says:

    I am a landed immigrant. My family and I have received our PR Cards except for my younger daughter. She was not able to recieve her PR Card because of some photo related issues. We recieved a letter from immigration that we have to be present in Canada before December 2, 2010. Does this mean my daughter will not be able to get her PR Card?

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Ramakrishna,

      If you are asking whether your daughter should be present in Canada in order to pick up her card, the answer is yes. She needs to be able to personally pick up her PR Card when it is ready for pick up.

      Hope this helps.

  23. Lucky says:

    Dear Sir,

    I am travelling to Canada for the first time after getting my PR visa from India. However, I have to return to India again just after 5 days. Please advise on how I can receive my PR card because the rules state that it may take up to 4 to 6 weeks. Is it possible for me to give my mailing address in India to receive my PR Card?

    Please advice. I am travelling on Monday.

    Best regards,

  24. Robin S says:

    Someone stole my passport which had my student visa in it. I have a wedding to attend in a month and would like to know the fastest way to get back my student visa. Please help me.

  25. romina enriquez says:


    I just want to ask if there will be any possibility of visa denial when I apply for a U.S. tourist visa if I have a pending Permanent Resident application in Canada under the FSW category. Thanks!

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Romina,

      It is possible to pursue a tourist visa application. However, you may have to provide documentation demonstrating your ties to Canada. Since each consulate has its own way of processing applications, it is advisable that you refer to the consular specific instructions for further detail.

      Hope this helps.

  26. pawan says:

    Dear Alicia Kim,

    Thanks for your reply.
    My Canadian PR Card indicates that I am originally from India. However, recently, I got a British passport. I want to go to Canada. Am I going to face any problems at the border because my British passport indicates my Indian nationality?

  27. Saurabh Malhotra says:


    I have Permanent Resident status in Canada. I would really appreciate if you can answer a few queries:

    (1) I am in Canada right now and was wondering as to how is one’s residency duration counted.
    (3) I applied for sponsorship application to sponsor my wife and when I didnt hear back from the concerned CPC office then they could not find my documents. I checked with the mailing company and its already been delivered. I have been asked to wait for 30 days but I doubt they’ll be able to find the documents. Should I resubmit the application to sponsor my spouse?

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Saurabh,

      To keep your status as a permanent resident, you must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period.

      I would follow up with the CPC office after 30 days. If the office still cannot find your material, I would re-send it to avoid any further delays.

  28. pawan says:

    What kind of information can we change on a Canadian PR card?


    • Alicia Kim says:

      Hi Pawan,

      Normally, people like to change their names or addresses.

      If you want to change your address, you may contact the CIC Call Center at 1-888-242-2100, or you may write to the office notifying them of change of address.
      If you changed your name because of a change of civil status, you must get a new PR card with the updated information.

  29. Kevin S says:

    I have a PR Card, which will expire before I leave for the U.S. by car. Because of the long processing time for a renewal, I will not have received a new PR Card before I leave. I’m traveling by car and have my “Confirmation of Permanent Residence” letter, which shows a validity until 2014. Will that suffice for re-entry into Canada by private vehicle?

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Kevin,

      If you are outside of Canada when your PR Card expires, you must contact a Canadian Visa office to obtain a Travel Document to enter back into Canada. When appying to the Canadian office abroad to obtain a Travel Document, you would have to show that you have resided in Canada for at least 2 years in the five year period. However, if you have not met this residency requirement, you could make humanitarian and compassionate arguments as to why you have been outside of Canada for longer than two years. The decision to issue you a Travel Document is discretionary and depends on the visa officer reviewing your file.

      Hope this helps.

  30. gene says:

    I applied for my PR in July, 2010 and have not been issued a PR yet. I am planning to visit the Philippines in February, 2011. What do I need to do in order to return to Canada? What is the processing time for PR now?

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Hi Gene,

      A permanent resident of Canada can apply for a Travel Document issued by a Canadian visa office abroad. It takes about 4-6 weeks to get a PR Card. The current processing time for PR applications is 41 days for newly arriving permanent residents.

  31. Samira says:


    Please help me with some information regarding landing and getting a PR card. My husband and I plan to fly into Canada(Toronto) in mid December as skilled workers. I want to stay in Canada for 3-4 weeks and then get back to the Netherlands. But, my husband can stay longer. Does the issuance of PR take more than 3-4 weeks? Is it possible to fly back without picking up my PR card? Can my husband pick up my PR Card or should I present myself?
    Thanks in advance,

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Samira,

      You have to pick up your PR card in person. If you do not pick up your card within 180 days, it will be cancelled.
      If you fly back without your PR Card, you would have to apply for a Travel Document at your local Canadian Embassy to be able to come back to Canada.
      If you are applying for a Permanent Residence Card at the border for the first time (that is, you are getting landing status) you will receive the card within 4-6 weeks.

      Hope this helps.

  32. Mary says:


    I just became a PR in Canada. What is going to happen if I want to return to my home country in order to continue my education for about a year or two. What is going to happen to my PR status in Canada? Am I going to lose it?


    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Mary,

      When you renew your PR card, you have to have resided in Canada for at least 730 days within the five year period. So, if you are going to be absent only for 3 months, there should not be a problem.

      If you are away from Canada for more than 730 days, you won’t be eligible to renew your PR Card. However, you can still be approved for a renewal on Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds to justify your absence from Canada.

      In addition, if you accompany a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident outside Canada, you may count each day away from Canada towards your days for PR, provided that you meet certain further conditions.

      Hope this helps.

  33. Rajat says:

    hi ,
    I have been working in Toronto for last 3 years on a work permit. Now i want to apply for PR here .How do i decide if i should apply under Canadian Experience class or Federal Skilled worker class ?Also my current WP expires on 30th June 2011. If i apply for a PR before that ,can i continue to stay and work here and also travel to India in between ?


    • Alicia Kim says:

      Hi Rajat,

      If you are currently working in Canada, your current employer has made an offer to give you a permanent job if you are accepted as a federal skilled worker (FSW) and your temporary work permit is valid both when you apply for a permanent resident visa and when the visa is issued, it may be easier for you to apply for a FSW with arranged employment. You can apply for both CEC and FSW, but you are required to submit new applications with new fees and will have to choose under which one the permanent resident status will be granted.

      However, before making this choice, we would require more information including your work experience in Canada and educational background. For a more detailed evaluation, please feel free to consult one of our immigration lawyers.

  34. Nad says:


    I would like to know if it is possible for me to renew my PR Card while I am abroad. I have some business situation that forces me to stay abroad. My PR Card expires in December and I’ve met the residency obligation. Can I complete PR Renewal application forms and receive my PR Card while I am abroad?

    Thanks in advance!

    • Alicia Kim says:

      Dear Nad,

      Please note that you can be outside of Canada when you apply for a renewal of your PR Card. However, you have to come to Canada to pick up your new card once your PR card renewal is approved.

      Hope this clarifies the issue.

      Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our immigration lawyers.

  35. aish says:

    I sent out the application to renew my PR Card. I sent a copy of my UK Passport.

    My problem is that I also need to renew my UK passport due to travel, but what if I am not in possesion of my UK Passport when I need to pick up my new PR Card.

    Or if I am in possession of the new UK Passport+the old UK Passport will it be possible to get the new PR card?

    Please Help

    • If you are not in possession of a valid Passport, you may have difficulties obtaining your PR Card. You should have at least a certified true copy of your UK passport. When you are notified to pick up your PR Card, you also may wish to send them a request to postpone the pick up until you get your new UK passport.

  36. Ruby says:


    I’m living in Canada and my PR card will expire on Aug 9, 2010. I’ll need to travel to US for several days in July and will be back on July 13, 2010. Is it ok that I use the PR card to come back to Canada when the card is so close to expiration?

    I plan to renew the card at once after I return. I believe that I should be in Canada during the whole renewal process?

    Thanks so much.

  37. Lovelyn says:

    When picking up my first PR card, what if I misplaced my original IMM 1000 document but have the rest of my ID including my passport, health card, etc. Will they still issue my PR card to me?

  38. Lady B says:

    I recently lost my PR card. Unfortunately, that PR card would expire this october 2010. Is it possible to just apply for citizenship instead of reapplying for a new card? And is there any way I can get a replacement card ASAP? I have an urgent trip to the US this April.


    • If you have met the residency requirements for Canadian citizenship the it is possible to apply for citiizenship. Generally, you would need to have resided in Canada for three years within the last four years of applying. You can get a new PR card on an urgent basis. To do this you have to show Immigration your travel plans.

  39. amanda says:

    My husband lost his PR card along with his Canadian drivers license in August of 2009. We sent in the documents in September and after following up for several months have only receive a message from them today stating they need additional documentation. The notice on the website states it takes them 100 plus days to open a letter and we have to leave the country for a couple weeks this June. Is there a way to expedite the process. Could he apply for a visitors visa to Canada just to ensure we would be able to reenter the country in June.


    • Hello
      Your husband could apply for a travel permit outside Canada at an Embassy for his return. Regarding his application for a new PR card, I would have to look into this matter and see what could be done to expidite the process.

  40. Estrella Dignos says:

    Hi Michael,

    I’m a Filipino citizen, currently in Cebu City, Philippines. I am a permanent resident of Canada. My permanent resident card expires on March 31, 2010 and my husband (Canadian citizen) and our 3 children are returning to Canada April 27, 2010. I have tried asking this question to the Canadian Embassy in Manila – but have not received a response to my email.

    Question: Can I apply for a temporary travel document BEFORE my card expires? (I was told in Canada that the card would have to expire before I could apply for a new one – that’s why I ask)

    Would I need to travel to Manila to do this, or would the Canadian Consulate in Cebu City be able to help me with this?

    Thank you very much.


    Estrella D.

    • Hello Estrella
      You should be able to apply for a travel document before your card expires. In your application, you should include a cover letter that clearly explains your situation. I am not sure whether the Canadian Consulate in Cebu would accept such applications. A safer bet would be to apply in Manila.

  41. Jeanette says:

    I have a PR card and have almost lived in Canada for 2 years out of the five (almost, by 3 months). I lived here for a year prior on a working/holiday visa.

    I need to move back to Denmark in a month or two, for personal reasons, and my canadian fiance is coming with me. We are planning on staying for years and planning on starting a family.
    Am I able to travel back to Canada and if I need, to renew my PR card after the 5 years expires? Or do I have to stay exactly 2 year?. What can happen if I don’t?

    • When renewing your PR card, you have to show that you have resided in Canada for at least 2 years within the 5 year period that your PR card is valid for. However, if this is not the case, you can still be approved for a renewal on humanitarian and compassionate grounds that justify your absence from Canada. Further if you are accompany your spouse who is Canadian the time away from Canada will nevertheless count towards your days for PR.

  42. preeti says:


    I applied for Canadian immigration and got my PR residence visa in June 2009, afte rwhich I travelled to Canada and landed in Toronto for the first time on 19th Sept 2009 three months back.

    The problem is that my PR card has still not arrived at my Canadian friends address that I had given at the airport .I live in Dubai and now I am seriously concerned as how do I get my PR card. I did not intend to move for the next one year. I tried calling on the CIC call centre number but its only to be called from within Canada

    What can i do to get my PR card without complications as I have heard that they might not send the PR card to my friends address if they found out that I was not in the country?

    • Generally, you have to pick up your PR card personally and it is not usually mailed. You have to have a Canadian address but you should pick up your PR card at a local CIC Centre. You may want to hire an immigration lawyer to act on your behalf to investigate this matter.

  43. Jasmine says:

    Hello, my PR Card is expiring in Feburary 2010 and I am planning on leaving Canada for tow weeks in January. I will be back in Canada Before February. Can I stay in Canada during my card renewal? Is it legal since I won’t be travelling anywhere with my expired card? I read that it takes several weeks or even months to process a new card in some cases. So my question is that is it ok for me to stay in Canada while applying for a new PR card?

    • Hello
      Yes you can remain in Canada while your PR Card renewal application is in process. A PR Card is for travel as a Canadian Permanent Resident. If you are staying in Canada, and not travelling, while your PR Card is in process, then you should have no problems.

  44. khangura says:

    My PR card will expire on 12 Jan 2010. I have applied for Renewal of my PR card on 10 Sep 2009. I will be going to India on 15 Jan 2010 and will be back on 15 Apr 2010. On 02 Nov 2009 I have sent photocopy of air ticket to the PR Card Processing Center for urgent processing of my application. According to processing time of the PR card renewal applications I may not receive my new pr card before end of Feb 2010. Please advise whether I can still travel with expired PR card and apply for travel document from abroad before coming back to Canada.

    • Hello
      If you are overseas and you have not received your new PR Card, then you will have to apply for a “facilitation document” (travel document”, at your local Canadian Embassy. There is no guarantee that they will issue you one however. You have to provide a reasonable explanation as to why you did not receive your PR card renewal

  45. Heather says:

    I have submitted my application for my permanent resident card in Canada under the common-law family class. I have gotten lots of mixed answers but am wondering what the approx total time from when I sent in my paperwork until I would possibly have my permanent resident card in my hand would be. Also, I am applying in Quebec: does speed things up or slow things down any?
    Thank you so very much!

  46. John Ferguson says:

    I am a Canadian citizen living overseas, I want to sponsor my common law spouse. We have all that is required, joint lease, monthly receipts, utility bills, gym membership in both names, we have purchased property in both names, bought a car, have emails, phone bills when I am in Canada showing we talked daily etc.

    Other than the fact she put both our address and her husbands in the box for addresson the TRV application I think we are OK, how do we deal with this issue.



  47. Ajjampur says:

    Hello ,
    I have got a Valid Visa for the US. I have not received Canada PR Card. I came back to my home country due to some urgent work. Can I apply for temporary visa from US or from any other country to travel to Canada by road from US?
    Thanks and regards

  48. Hi Wendy
    If you forgot your PR card and left Canada, you can go to the nearest Canadian consulate and explain to them the situation and ask for a travel permit to return to Canada.

  49. Hello Jodi A
    You do not have to worry if your husband remains in Canada after his PR Card expires. He can wait for the renewal while in Canada. Problems may arise if he travels before his PR Card is renewed. If he does, he may have to go to the nearest Canadian consulate to get a travel permit to return to Canada

  50. Jody A says:

    I’m curious about the whole PR card thing.

    My husband is an immigrant, and holds a PR card. His card was due to expire soon, so he completed the renewal application. However, his card expired two days ago, and he has yet to receive the new one.

    I asked him if allowing his PR card to expire somehow affects his legal status in Canada. (He’s lived in Canada for the past 20 years.) He said the card isn’t, itself, the record of his legal status, but rather a form of proof of it. Meaning, he is a legal resident of Canada, even if the card has expired.

    I looked around the Internet and couldn’t find any information about expired PR cards, other than how it relates to travel.

    I’m curious if an expired PR card has any other relevance, other than prohibiting international travel (or, at least, the ability to return to Canada). Is the PR card essentially a travel document, or is not having a valid one grounds for some kind of action against the person?

    - Curious…if not a bit worried…

  51. Wendy Guo says:

    I travelled to US during this winter holiday however I forgot to bring my permanent resident (PR) card with me, do you have any idea what are some of my options? Thank you very much!

  52. Hello John
    There are two issues here. Firstly, the fact that you lived overseas with your Common law partner for over one year may make you eligible for a common law sponsorship application. However, proof of your cohabitation together is especially important here given you are living in another country. Also, if you are not a Canadian citizen and only a PR Resident yourself, then you have to return to Canada in order to sponsor her.
    Finally, the fact that on her tourist visa she put her X husband’s address on the form may cause credibility problems. This issue can be overcome but has to be dealt with properly.
    Michael Niren

  53. John Ferguson says:

    I have lived with my common law spouse for 18 months in the Philippines, In December 07 she applied for a tourist visa to Canada and was denied.
    Unfortunately she made a mistake on the application and put her ex husband’s address and hers under both names.

    She has been separated for three years.
    I want to sponsor her as a common law spouse and we have all the proof and documentation we need.

    Will this error on the PR application affect her chance to be sponsored by me as a common law spouse?

    I dont want to proceed until I get this question cleared up and it is difficult to get an answer.


    John F.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

  • You could be eligible for prizes
Start Your FREE
Top of page