US & Canada Immigration News

Fill out our immigration assessment form and we will get back to you within 24 hours to discuss your eligibility and immigration options.

Entering canada with a felony conviction

If you have a criminal record such as a felony conviction, you may have difficulty entering Canada.

Can I enter Canada with a Felony Conviction?

Canada has strict rules when it comes to admitting people with criminal records. Essentially, if you have been convicted of an offence that occurred less than 10 years ago, in most cases, you are inadmissible to Canada. This means that if you wish to visit Canada or work, you will require a special permit, called a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) to be admitted.

A TRP can be obtained, if you are American, at the Canada/US border. However, getting a TRP this way could prove challenging. TRPs are not easy to get. You have to prove that your felony conviction should not prevent you from entering Canada and that your need for entry outweighs reasons for denial. Applying for a TRP at the border could result in a refusal and you could be turned away.

The other method of applying for a TRP is at the Canadian Consultate. This processess could take a number of months but if you are pre-approved then when you come to the Canadian border, you should have no trouble be admitted to Canada.

How long Canada I stay in Canada on a TRP?

If you are admitted to Canada on a TRP, you can stay in Canada during the validity of the TRP. TRPs are usually valid for 6 months but could be less depending on the situation. If you have reason to enter Canada multiple times, you could apply for a TRP that is multiple entry. It is up to the immigration officer to issue you one or not.

How do I know if my felony conviction or criminal record makes be inadmissible to Canada?

Generally, most offences render you inadmissible to Canada. The best way to know whether your conviction will prevent you from entry to Canada is to consult with an immigration professional such as a lawyer. The lawyer will do an “equivalency analysis” to see if your offence in your home country will prevent you from entering Canada. If this is the case, then you will need a TRP.

Note that if your office is really old, say, 10 years or more, you may be eligible for Criminal Rehabilitation. If you are, then the good news is that once you get a Criminal Rehabilitation Certificate, you will not have to apply for a TRP as they are permanent. Provided you do not commit any further offences, you can enter Canada like everyone else, even if you have a felony conviction.

Need help entering Canada?

If you need to enter Canada and feel that you may have difficulty then plan ahead. Contact an immigration lawyer for a consultation about your felony conviction or criminal record in order to determine if you are inadmissible to Canada. If you are get help with a TRP.


Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

Leave a Comment:

Your email address will not be published.


The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.