Canada Makes Permanent Residence Easier Through Canadian Experience Class


Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney has announced changes to the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) that will benefit temporary foreign workers who wish to apply for permanent residence in Canada. Minister Kenney announced it on his Twitter, saying “The new 1 year threshold for high-skilled temporary foreign workers to qualify for CDN Experience Class will start January, 2013.”

Changes to the Canadian Experience Program in 2013

Currently, temporary foreign workers are able to use two years of full-time work in a designated occupation as an advantage when they apply for permanent residency under the Canadian Experience Class. But as of January 2013, these temporary foreign workers will only have to work for a year, dropping the work experience requirement from 24 months to 12 months.

The Canadian Experience Class is a program that offers permanent residency to workers or students who have spent time in Canada and would acclimate to the Canadian labour market and society much better than immigrants who come to Canada under other streams.

Applying for Permanent Residence Under the Canadian Experience Class

Are you a temporary foreign worker or student who wants to immigrate to Canada permanently and are already in Canada on a work permit or a study permit? The Canadian Experience Class has specific requirements, but it can be a great way for you to become a Canadian permanent resident.

If you want to know more about the program or want to know if you are qualified for the Canadian Experience Class program, feel free to contact us to book a consultation. We would love to help you!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.