Immigrating to Canada through a work permit is very common and as many already know, there are many different work permits available. The real challenge is figuring out what worker visa works best for you and your unique situation.
There are a few pathways an individual can choose to immigrate to Canada as a business investor with business experience and many choose the Owner Operator LMIA route.
What is LMIA?
LMIA which stands for Labour Market Impact Assessment is an authorization document from Employment and Social Development Canada. LMIA’s are for prospective Canadian employers who need to prove that a labour and skill shortage exists that justifies employing a foreign worker. This process is most popular when applying through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP).
What is Owner/Operater LMIA?
Owner Operator LMIA is different from your typical LMIA as it focuses more on your business proposal opposed to assessing a single candidate. Some of the benefits to an Owner Operator LMIA include having the chance to operate your business in Canada, the freedom to launch your business in any Canadian city, and no mandatory advertising/recruitment process required.
Owner Operator LMIA Qualfications and Requirements
- Be the primary shareholder of the business
- Demonstrate that your business will create jobs in Canadian citizens
- Must be the highest position within the business
- Must show in detail how you will be funding the business and maintain employment with a business plan
- Must prove that you are actively involved with the business in the long run and plan to develop the business further
- Must demonstrate the intention to hire Canadian citizens within your business plan
Why Seeking Professional Help is Essential
With so many applicants each year from around the world vying for Canadian work permits, it is important to get experienced legal help that will ensure your application package has the best chance of being accepted. Missed or incorrect details can result in a failed bid, which can be heartbreaking if they could have been easily avoided if prepared by a professional immigration expert.
The documentation and processes involved in successfully obtaining a Canadian work visa using an Owner Operator LMIA for a foreign beneficiary are complex and usually require legal expertise.