What is a P-3 Visa?

The P-3 visa allows artists and groups of entertainers to come to the US as a non-immigrant in order to participate in a culturally unique program. In order to qualify for this type of visa you need to engaging with a traditional ethnic, cultural or folk performance and you need to be traveling to the US in order to participate in cultural events that will help to further the general public's understanding of your art form.

How do I apply for a P-3 Visa?

To begin the application process, your US sponsor or employer needs to submit a form I-129 petition on your behalf. The petition will need to include information on:

  • Written consultation from the sponsoring labor organization
  • Contract between the petitioner and the sponsored artist or group
  • Explanation of the cultural event and an itinerary
  • Evidence supporting the authenticity of the group/ artist or evidence that the act is culturally unique
  • Evidence that all performances will take place at culturally unique events

Frequently Asked Questions:

  • How Long is a P-3 visa valid for? The P-3 visa is valid for the length of the cultural event, activity or performance but is not to exceed one year. However, you may apply for extensions in one year increments in order to continue or complete the activity, event or performance.
  • What happens if I no longer work with the organization that sponsored me for the P-3 visa? Because your employer or organization sponsored you initially to obtain the P-3 visa, if you chose to leave them and begin working for a new organization, they will need to re-file the I-129 form.
  • Can I bring my family with me? Yes! Your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 may come with you on a P-4 Visa. They will not be able to work while in the US but could attend school or college.
  • What about my staff? If you have staff that cannot be replaced by qualified individuals in the US, they can also obtain a P-3 visa. In order to do this, the sponsor will also need to fill out a separate I-129 form for the staff.
  • How does the P-3 visa differ from the P-2 Visa? Both the P-3 and P-2 visa are designed to help artists or groups to enter the US for performances. However, the P-3 Work visa is specifically geared towards entertainers that are performing at a cultural event or program. While the P-2 is for entertainers that are a part of a reciprocal exchange program with another country.

Do You Want to Apply for an P-3 Visa? We Can Help!

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals, and consultants who work for Niren and Associate award-winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-866-449-5904.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs? Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you're eligible. The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.

Customer Reviews

I could not have asked for more! The VisaPlace team are extremely professional, they know their stuff. They gave me great information, prepared my work visa application and then prepared me for the submission process. I was successful. Got my visa. 5 stars! I would give them 6 if I could.

Tim Willisin the last week

This is not an exaggeration!!! I was truly impressed with the way VisaPlace consultants handled my case. The consultants- Emily, Lauren, Takunda and Lisa, took their time to explain to me in great deal how they were going to approach my case and how they would handle setbacks, if any. Their professionalism and knowledge of the law were superb. The minor setback that came up was quickly addressed by the team. The team constantly kept me updated on the progress/status of my application; they quickly responded to my questions/concerns. They had predicated my permanent residency to be processed within 6 -12, and Indeed it was processed and completed within 6 months. Based on my personal experience, Emily and Lauren's team are the best! They deserve 5 stars!!!!!!!!!!!

George Jakan'gayoa week ago

VisaPlace helped me sponsor my husband to become a Permanent Resident of Canada. They were extremely professional. Every step along the way was explained fully and expertly taken care of. The staff responded immediately to any questions and always handled our concerns fully, taking as much time as we needed to understand where we were at in the immigration process and what to expect next. I would recommend VisaPlace with no hesitation at all. I'm sure if we had tried to navigate the immigration process ourselves, it would have been much harder.

Shirley Corriveau2 weeks ago

As seen on


  • The Canadian Bar Association
  • The American Bar Association