Keeping your Green Card up-to-date is an important part of your lawful permanent residency in the US. If you do not have a valid Green Card, it could affect your ability to prove you are a lawful permanent resident and it could prevent you from traveling, showing work authorization or the right to live in the US.

When do I need to Replace My Green Card?

You must replace your Green Card if any of the following apply:

  • Your card has expired or will expire within 6 months.
  • Your card has been lost, stolen or damaged.
  • Your card was issued before you turned 14 and it will not expire by your 16th birthday.
  • Your card has an administrative error on it i.e an incorrect name or DOB.

You can replace your Green Card if any of the following apply:

  • Your name or other information has legally changed.
  • Your card does not have an expiration date.
  • You have taken up commuter status and live in Canada or Mexico but work in the US.

How do I Replace my Green Card?

If you are applying online:

  • Create a USCIS account- this will be used to access the application.
  • Complete the online application to Replace Permanent Resident Card (I-90).
  • Upload Evidence.
  • Review and Sign.
  • Pay and Submit.

If you are applying using paper:

  • Complete the Form I-90.
  • Submit a filing fee.
  • Submit evidence.
  • Sign Form I-90 and submit the application at the proper filing location (found on the application).

Once you have applied you will receive a receipt and an acknowledgement that USCIS has received your application. If you applied using a paper application, a USCIS account will be created for you and you will receive updates there. If you do not log into that account, paper mail will be sent to you. You will also be given a biometrics date which should be about 1 to 2 weeks after the application is received. If you need to provide additional information, you will receive a request for evidence and that evidence should be uploaded to your USCIS account during the specified time frame. Ultimately, you will receive a written decision and a Green Card if approved.

Do You Need Help Replacing Your Green Card?

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals, and consultants who work for Niren and Associate award-winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-866-449-5904.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs? Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you're eligible. The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.

Customer Reviews

The team here is wonderful. They are so professional and capable of handling any immigration matters. I just received my Work Permit thanks to them. Thanks Alicea again for helping me! I highly highly recommend to try their services ❤❤

Cao My Duyena week ago

Money well spent! Very professional and thoughtful. I had a need to visit their office and was pleasantly surprised and was treated very cordially. My wife’s work permit came in several months early as did her permanent residency. Thank you Lisa and Laura!

Brian Bedford3 weeks ago

The agency is very capable and have a lot experience to handle USA immigration issues. My I -601 case was approved because of their help. I strongly recommend this wonderful agency.

James Yu2 weeks ago

As seen on


  • The Canadian Bar Association
  • The American Bar Association