How Do I Turn Asylee Status into Permanent Residency (Green Card)?

If you are residing in the US after being granted asylum status, you are able to apply for a Green Card one year after you have received asylum status. In order to apply, you will need to meet the following requirements:

  • You have been physically present in the US for a year after being granted asylum status.
  • You continue to meet the definition of an asylee (or are the spouse or child of an asylee).
  • You have not resettled in another country.
  • You are still admissible to the US.

You will need to file Form I-484, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status and pay the filing fee. This fee covers the cost of the application and the biometrics fee (this does not apply to applicants under the age of 14). The following evidence will need to be submitted in support of Form I-484:

  • A copy of Form I-94.
  • Your approval notice granting asylum or a copy of the judge’s orders that show you are granted asylum.
  • Evidence of a name change if you have changed your name.

You will also need to submit two passport photos. If you are inadmissible to the US now, you will need to file Form I-602, Application by Refugee for Waiver of Grounds of Excludability and any copies of court/ arrest records, if applicable. Once everything has been successfully submitted, you will receive a written decision.

Are You In the US on Alysee Status and do You Want to Become a Permanent Resident?

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals, and consultants who work for Niren and Associate award-winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-866-449-5904.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs? Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you're eligible. The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.

Customer Reviews

The team here is wonderful. They are so professional and capable of handling any immigration matters. I just received my Work Permit thanks to them. Thanks Alicea again for helping me! I highly highly recommend to try their services ❤❤

Cao My Duyena week ago

Money well spent! Very professional and thoughtful. I had a need to visit their office and was pleasantly surprised and was treated very cordially. My wife’s work permit came in several months early as did her permanent residency. Thank you Lisa and Laura!

Brian Bedford3 weeks ago

The agency is very capable and have a lot experience to handle USA immigration issues. My I -601 case was approved because of their help. I strongly recommend this wonderful agency.

James Yu2 weeks ago

As seen on


  • The Canadian Bar Association
  • The American Bar Association