1 Answers

US Sponsorship For My Canadian Family

Asked by: 860 views , , , , , , , ,
USA Immigration

I was in Canada on a student visa when I had gotten pregnant and had given birth to my son, who is technically a Canadian citizen. My visa is up and I wish to take my son and his father (who is also Canadian) back with me to the United States. How do I even begin this process? I know I could always just marry his father but, I don’t think our relationship is quite at the point as yet

1 Answers

  1. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes


    Your child can likely be deemed a US citizen; there will be some paperwork that is required for deeming a child a US citizen. One will be issued a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (CRBA), which is an official record confirming that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth. A CRBA can be issued only at an American Consular Office overseas, and only before the child reaches 18 years of age. As for your son’s father, you would have to be married in order to sponsor him.

    Fadi - Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

Answer Question