1 Answers

U.S. Fiancee sponsorship application after entering as visitor

Asked by: 199 views USA Immigration

If a Canadian has entered the U.S. as a visitor, is it possible to apply for the fiancee visa while there, or would the Canadian have to go back to Canada to start the process? Thanks.

1 Answers

  1. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes


    The fiance visa allows a foreign-citizen fiancé(e) to travel to the United States and marry his or her US citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival. The foreign-citizen will then apply for an adjustment of status to become a permanent resident. Therefore, because you are currently in the US, if you decide to marry, you can do so and subsequently apply for an adjustment of status and await gaining permanent residency from within the US. Otherwise, if you leave and want to enter the US as a fiance, you will need to go through the procedures of applying which would eventually involve an interview at the US consulate or embassy abroad.

    Fadi Minawi - Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

Answer Question