1 Answers

Relocating A Canadian Employee into the US Permanently

Asked by: 963 views , , , , , , , , ,
USA Immigration

We are an American based company and wishes to transfer one of our Canadian employees from Toronto to our head office in New York permanently. How would we go about doing this? And, what visa should we consider pursuing?

1 Answers

  1. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes


    It sounds like am L-1A or L-1B may be possible really depending on the duties of the job.

    L-1 visas are available to employees working for companies outside the United States such as in Canada that have branches, subsidiaries, affiliates or joint venture partners in the United States.

    In order to qualify for an L-1 visa, you have to meet specific requirements.

    Basic Requirements for the L-1 Visa
    You must have worked outside the United States for one full year within the preceding three years on a full time basis
    You must have worked for a “qualifying organization” outside the United States as an executive, manager or in a “specialized knowledge”
    You are being transferred to the United States to work for a new or existing U.S. business that is either subsidiary, branch or affiliate of the foreign company.

    Feel free to contact a professional to assess the specific situation of your employee.


    Fadi Minawi - Dec 18, 2013 | Reply

Answer Question