2 Answers

Visting the USA

Asked by: 2114 views Uncategorized

I am a Canadian citizen who visits the US for weekend visits totalling about 80 days per year in the US. Is there a limit on the number of visits or days to enter as a visitor?

2 Answers

  1. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

    From an immigration law perspective, you should be fine. However, you should also be aware of the potential tax implications that flow from the amount of time you spend in Canada. You spend over 30 days in the US, as such you may be considered a Resident Alien if you have “substantial presence” in the US. If you spend 183 days in the US, you will automatically be considered to have substantial presence.

    If you spend less that 183 days in the US but the IRS still determines that you have a substantial presence, you may not necessarily need to pay US taxes. You would need to submit a Form 8840 Closer Connection Exception Statement for Aliens with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

    It is very important that you discus you situation in depth with a tax lawyer because if you do have a substantial presence and do not file the above-mentioned form, you will be liable to receive a fine from the IRS, regardless of amount of taxes they say you owe.

    Dimitri - Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

  2. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

    Do you process immigration to Australia.

    Muhammad Waseem Khattak - Aug 10, 2013 | Reply

Answer Question