2 Answers

U.S citizen trying to get work permit in Canada, Montreal

Asked by: 2510 views , , ,


I am originally from the United States and have been in Montreal for a little over a week. I have fallen in love with the city and would really love to live and work here.

I understand that I need a work permit in order to legally work here but I know that the first step in order to get a work permit is to receive a job offer.

However, i´ve already had 2 potential job offers but they have turned me down once they found out that I do not have a work permit and say that they are not willing to help me get one.

I have a feeling that most jobs will tell me the same thing and I do not understand how someone is supposed to get a work permit here.

To sum things up, I need a work permit in order to get a job but in order to get a work permit I need a job offer but no one will offer me a job without a work permit. What do I do??

I would really appreciate it if someone who knows more on the subject could help me out with this one

2 Answers

  1. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes


    In addition to completing the necessary forms to make an Application for a Work Permit made outside of Canada, you are generally required to submit the following documents:

    * a job offer from a Canadian employer

    * a completed application, that shows that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, and

    * written confirmation from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) that the employer can hire a foreign worker to fill the job. This confirmation is called a positive labour market opinion and essentially means that the job could not be filled by the domestic market of workers. Some occupations do not require a positive confirmation from HRSDC.

    Certain occupations (live in care givers for example) have additional requirements.

    I assume that you are a US Citizen. If this is accurate, then you will need to submit a photocopy of either your US passport, Birth Certificate, or Naturalization Certificate. The identification document requirements are different for US permanent residents and those in US with temporary status.

    I encourage you to arrange a consultation with an immigration lawyer in order to get a comprehensive picture of all the requirements to make a work permit application.

    Dimitri Thalakada - Aug 07, 2011 | Reply

  2. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

    i won’t to wok in Montreal i speak litele Frensh ,Russen.Hebru.end English.Have far relatives in Montreal.ken get a cecurety job.any work

    moshe portnoy - Jan 08, 2013 | Reply

Answer Question