1 Answers

Immigrate to US as self-employed

Asked by: 2743 views ,

I’d like to find out if I’d be eligible to immigrate to the US, along with my wife and 15-year-old son.

I am self-employed and run an online business.  About $60,000 of my annual revenue comes from the US.  I am interested in relocating the business to the US.  I currently don’t have any employees and I won’t need any, just an internet connection.

After selling our home here in Scotland, we will likely have between $250,000-$300,000 cash, which would be enough for a house and money to live.  I did not complete university nor do I have any specific job qualifications.

Would running a profitable business be sufficient grounds for immigrating?

1 Answers

  1. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

    You may qualify for an E-2 visa. Foreign investors who invest a “subtantial amount of capial” in a U.S. business, and who will develop and direct the business may apply for the E2 visa.

    To qualify, you must demontrate that you have control of the business by showing ownership of at least 50 per cent of the business. “Substantial investment” is defined as sufficient funds to ensure the investor’s financial commitment to the successful operation of the E2 business. It must be more than a marginal business solely for earning the investor’s living.

    For more information, I suggest that you consult with a qualified immigration lawyer with more detailed information to better assess your situation.

    alicia - Nov 26, 2011 | Reply

Answer Question