1 Answers

Denied entry to Canada, with paperwork?

Asked by: 647 views , , , , ,

When traveling to Canada last year, my husband was denied entry due to two prior convictions from 1990.  According to the immigration officer, the convictions were still open and not dealt with.

When we returned home, I contacted both the Canadian and American records departments, and discovered that the convictions had in fact closed in 1991.  We were able to get paperwork from both countries proving that the charges were closed. 

We plan to visit Canada again this winter.  This time, we will have the paperwork, and plan to cross at a larger border.  Is it possible that my husband would be denied entry again?

1 Answers

  1. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

    The nature of the convictions is very important. It is possible to be “deemed rehabilitated”. You may only be deemed rehabilitated if the offence committed would be punishable in Canada by a maximum term of imprisonment of less than 10 years. The number of offences committed is also important to determining if you are eligible to be deemed rehabilitated. I encourage you to get in touch with a Canadian embassy close to you to inquire if you are eligible for deemed rehabilitation.

    If the Canadian embassy/consults informs your husband that he is still criminally inadmissible but not eligible to be deemed rehabilitated, the next option to make submit an application for criminal rehabilitation. These applications take over a year to process and require proof that you are unlikely to commit any further crimes.

    If the convictions were in Canada, you may apply for a pardon through the National Parole Board. If you received pardons or discharges for your convictions in countries other than Canada, please inform the Canadian embassy closest to you.

    Dimitri - Aug 18, 2011 | Reply

Answer Question