2 Answers

acting work in USA

Asked by: 2258 views , , ,

I am a Canadian actor and I’m interested in going to Los Angeles to look for work.  Do I need a work visa if I don’t have work yet?  I would like to go for about 6 months at first, and work as a waiter while auditioning.

2 Answers

  1. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

    You may enter the U.S. under a Visa Waiver Program to attend auditions. However, you may work in the U.S. without a U.S. Work Visa. In general, you cannot apply for a US work visa without a specific job offer from the US.

    At a later date when you have found an employer, your employer may sponsor you to get the O-1 Visa. The O-1 Visa is available to people in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics that can demonstrate extraordinary ability. Although the requirements may seem daunting at first glance, they are not necessarily as such and many do indeed qualify.

    alicia - Aug 07, 2011 | Reply

  2. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

    I have the same question. So you are saying that I have to have a acting job first to apply for a US working visa? Or can I get a visa and go down to audition? I will most likely need a another part time job too b/c when you audition their is no guarantee you book work.

    Cathy - Aug 08, 2011 | Reply

Answer Question