1 Answers

What Changes were made to Canadian Immigration Regulations in 2012?

Asked by: 498 views , , , , , , ,


I am happy to have found your forum. I have a question regarding immigrating to Canada with a DUI on my record.

I have a job opportunity in Halifax and was under the impression that I would not be able to immigrate to Canada to work due to a past DUI on my record. A friend of mine told me that there were some changes to entry regulations in 2012 that effect people with a DUI? Is my friend correct? I am looking to find some accurate information that may help me pursue my dream of working in Canada.

Thank you!


1 Answers

  1. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

    In order to enter Canada where an inadmissibility is concerned (such as criminality) a Temporary Resident Permit is Required.

    A Temporary Resident Permit is a document that overcomes inadmissibility that would otherwise preclude some one from entering Canada. However, this is not a travel document and depending on your reason for entering Canada, subsequent documentation may be required.

    For example, if you come from a country that required a Visitor Visa and you also have criminality, then you will require both the Temporary Resident Permit as well as the visitor visa.

    Based on your situation specifically, depending on the nature of your work and your qualifications you may may require a Labour Market Opinion and subsequent Work Permit as well as a Temporary Resident Permit to overcome your inadmissibility.

    Acquiring said documents can be tricky and acquiring the right information to submit can be even more so. The Firm has had many successful cases who share your situation and we would be happy to help you achieve your dreams.

    Please feel free to contact us for further information!

    Giovanni - Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Answer Question