1 Answers

Dual citizenship

Asked by: 2253 views ,

Hi, I can’t seem to find the answer online elsewhere.  I was born in the states, but my mother was born in Canada.  Am I entitled to dual citizenship?  Do I automatically have it?

1 Answers

  1. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

    Hi Erik S.,

    Generally speaking, anyone born outside of Canada to a parent who was a Canadian citizen at the time of their birth is also a Canadian citizen.

    In order to verify and obtain proof of your Canadian citizenship, you would be required to apply for a citizenship certificate.

    You can read more about obtaining proof and confirming your citizenship at the following link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/proof.asp#who .

    Chantelle M. - Sep 09, 2011 | Reply

Answer Question