1 Answers

Can I lose my Canadian Permanent Residence status if I leave the country indefinitely?

Asked by: 279 views , ,
Canadian Immigration

Will I lose my Canadian permanent residence status if I leave to visit my family in Korea for too long?

1 Answers

  1. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

    Hi there Geo,

    Good question. It is possible to lose your PR status if you leave Canada for too long, so it’s definitely a good thing to keep in mind if you are planning a long trip.

    To remain a permanent resident, you must meet the residency obligations. These obligations require that you be physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past five (5) years, so 2 years.

    There are exceptions to these requirements however. Please check out our page on Permanent Residence for more information here: http://www.visaplace.com/canada-immigration/permanent-residence-card.php

    Hope this helps!

    Candice Leueng - Jun 26, 2013 | Reply

Answer Question