1 Answers

Are Veterinary professionals eligible for any specialized visas?

Asked by: 156 views ,
Canadian Immigration

I am an American that wishes to immigrate to Canada as a permanent resident. As a Veterinary professional am I eligible for any specialized visas?

1 Answers

  1. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

    Hello and thank you for your question.

    NAFTA Professional Work Permits are an option for business persons from the U.S. or Mexico, who enter Canada to provide arranged (job offer required) professional services to a Canadian enterprise. More than 60 different professional occupations are eligible to qualify under the NAFTA

    A veterinarian is one of the 60 eligible occupations.

    One of the benefits of applying for a NAFTA Professional work permit is that applicants are exempt from the Labour Market Opinion (LMO) requirement. Canada has a “Canadians first” policy in regards to employment in Canada. Generally speaking, a LMO is an opinion by Canada’s labour authority (HRSDC) that considers whether a job offered to a foreign worker would have a negative effect on Canada. As a veterinarian, you would be exempt from this requirement, and only need a job offer to get a Canadian work permit.

    NAFTA Professional work permits are only for individuals entering the Canadian labour market temporarily, and their work permits cannot be longer than 3 years in duration.

    However, the work experience gained while in Canada can provide a pathway to permanent residency.

    I hope this information was helpful.

    Steven Snider - Feb 13, 2014 | Reply

Answer Question