1 Answers

Travelling while waiting for PR card

Asked by: 108 views ,
Canadian Immigration

A month ago I was granted Permanent Resident Status in Canada. I received a letter in the mail and it indicated that my PR card would be issued and sent to me. I have not yet received my card and I am required to leave the country for a business trip. Do I require my card to travel or may will providing the letter from the Government be sufficient?

1 Answers

  1. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

    Hello and thank you for your question.

    It is ideal to have your PR card when you travel, however, in your situation where you must leave Canada before your PR card arrives you can consider these options.

    The only official documents that permanent residents of Canada can use to travel back to Canada on a commercial carrier (by air, land or sea) are the PR card or a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD). To obtain a PRTD, this application must be submitted to a Canadian visa office abroad.

    If you are entering Canada in a private vehicle, such as your own car, and you do not present your PR card, you can present your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR-IMM 5292).

    Although risky, when your PR card is mailed to you at the address you provided to CIC and someone lives there, they can forward you the PR card via express mail. This is generally not recommended.

    Steven Snider - Feb 09, 2014 | Reply

Answer Question