1 Answers

Can I Travel to Canada with an Old Felony Conviction?

Asked by: 519 views , , , , , , , ,
Canadian Immigration

Hey there,

I have been asked to be ‘Best Man’ at my best friend’s wedding this summer. His fiancĂ© is from Canada and they have decided to get married in Toronto. I have a felony conviction on my record dating back to the 80’s (not my proudest moment) and I am very concerned that I will have trouble getting across the US/Canadian border. My friends don’t have any idea about my past indiscretion and I very apprehensive that this will prevent me from participating in the wedding.

Would I be able to visit Toronto with an old felony conviction?

1 Answers

  1. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

    Hello Jeff
    Thank you for your post.

    You can travel to Canada with a Felony conviction provided it is at least 5 years old or more. However, if this is not the case, you will need a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). But even where your conviction is more than 5 years, you may still require what is called Criminal Rehabilitation.

    Criminal Rehabilitation is an application you will have to make to the Canadian consulate that, if approved, will enable you to enter Canada despite your Felony. Once you have a Criminal Rehabilitation Certificate, you can then enter Canada without issue provided you do not commit any further offences.

    For more information about Criminal Rehabilitation applications you can visit our blog page about this topic. It is always recommended that you seek professional assistance when applying for entry to Canada if you have a Felony conviction.

    Michael Niren - Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Answer Question