1 Answers

Temporary Work Permit HELP!

Asked by: 2001 views Canadian Immigration


My husband and I have both been hired by a company in Alberta to be Group Home Operators (Teaching Parents). NOC 4212-B. Our LMO was issued on Monday. Now we are confused! We have been told by some that we can go to the border and apply for our TWP there; others have told us that we have to apply at the visa office in Washington, DC.


We have considered driving from here to Port Erie to apply for the TWP and then return to our current home to pack our animals and belongings. (Port Erie is much closer to our home than Alberta! So we figured we could get the TWP and then make the long trek to Alberta). 


How can we know if we need a medical exam? If we get to the border and they decide we need a medical, what happens? Do they hold the file and allow us to return with a completed medical when we need to enter Alberta? Or do we have to come home, apply at the visa office, and wait for our section A?


We are simply trying to speed up this process. Our job was ready for us 2 weeks ago, so we want to get there as soon as possible!


We will also need to hire a lawyer once we get our TWPs and settle in Canada because we’d like to apply for Permanent Residency. How long do we have to be on a TWP to apply? We don’t want to have to go through the LMO renewal process!


1 Answers

  1. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

    Once you have obtained a LMO, you may apply for a Work Permit at the visa office in the area where you have valid legal status.

    Depending on the skill level of your job, you may be eligible to apply under the Canadian Experience Class or, depending on the job title you hold, you may be eligible to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker. At this time, it is difficult for me to give you any further advice but if you provides me with more detailed information, I will be happy to assist you.

    alicia - May 11, 2012 | Reply

Answer Question