1 Answers

Will Moving to the US Jeopardize My PR Status in Canada?

Asked by: 844 views , , , , , , , ,
Canadian Immigration, USA Immigration

I have been a permanent resident in Canada for the past 6 years and have met an American man that wants me to move with him to the U.S. Will moving to the U.S. jeopardize my status in Canada? I have family here and would like to be able to cross both borders without hassle.

1 Answers

  1. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

    Hello there,
    Thank you for your post. If you are a Canadian citizen, then moving to the US will not impact your status in Canada. However, if you are a Canadian PR, if you move to the US, you will have to maintain your PR residency status while outside of Canada. The general rule is that you have to have physical presence in Canada for 2 out of the last 5 years. However there are some exceptions to this rule. One exception is that if you are residing with your Canadian spouse outside of Canada then your days outside will count towards your residency. The same could be the case if you work for a Canadian employer as well. Of course you have to document this very well if you renew your PR card. You get get more information on PR card renewls here: http://www.visaplace.com/canada-immigration/permanent-residence-card.php
    Best of Luck
    Michael Niren

    michael - Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Answer Question