2 Answers

Living in the USA

Asked by: 597 views Canadian Immigration, Other, USA Immigration

I’m a Canadian citizen and live in Toronto. I have two rental properties in the US and pay US taxes. I would like to move to the US for 1 to 2 years and live there with no intention of working. I’m not eligible for the Green Card nor do I want to establish a business. Would I be able to live there without having to return to Canada after 6 months. What are my options?

2 Answers

  1. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

    Hello Maryam,

    Merely owning residential or vacation property in the US will not allow a visitor to the US to move there (permanently) and will only allow a person to be in the US for temporary periods. Sometimes an extension of that period could be applied for, but this should be done in exceptional circumstances so this would normally require a compelling reason to extend that status.

    Although you mention that you do not want to establish a business in the US, however, the E-2 investor’s visa option has been used by many Snowbirds to set up a business that will allow them to be in the US on a temporary basis, but still a much longer period than what is allowable than just a pleasure or leisure visitor.

    Some people also opt for the EB-5 permanent residence application which would require a $500,000 or $1,000,000 investment but can be more hands-off over the E-2 option and would be for a Permanent Residence status (Greencard).

    It would be advisable to speak to an Attorney about your situation.


    Fadi Minawi - Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

  2. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

    As Fadi Minawi Said you can try out EB-5 ..Which you need to invest a huge amount..If you have money you can go ahead with this..

    Hazel Ickes - Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

Answer Question