1 Answers

Spousal Sponsorship

Asked by: 254 views , ,
Canadian Immigration

I am a PR living in Ontario. I plan to get married soon and want to bring my husband back with me after marriage. How do I tackle this? Should I wait until marriage is over to apply for visitor visa?

1 Answers

  1. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

    That is a difficult situation. Assuming your husband is not from a visa-exempt country such as India or Pakistan, then after you get married he would need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to join you in Canada. However, being married to a Canadian or PR will make this difficult. In most cases, you would have to sponsor him as a spouse for Permanent Residence which could take many months or even a year to process. This means he would have to wait outside Canada until his PR application is approved. This is the more realistic scenario. You could try to apply for a TRV (Visitor Visa) but it would likely get refused given that he is not married to a Canadian PR. This is why planning ahead is essential when it comes to immigration. Good luck and congratulations !

    Michael Niren - Oct 06, 2013 | Reply

Answer Question