1 Answers

Will a Past DUI Prevent my Wife and I From Vacationing in Canada?

Asked by: 468 views , , , , , , , ,
Canadian Immigration, Other

My wife and I are planning a golf vacation to Ontario in the summer of 2013. As a US citizen in my 60’s I have yet to travel to Canada and am looking forward to it! I am troubled by the fact that my wife has a DUI conviction on her record. The conviction is over 20 years old and it is something that we have put behind us for some time now. Is this past DUI on her record going to affect our ability to enter Canada to golf this summer?

I look forward to your reply,


1 Answers

  1. 0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

    Hello George

    Thank you for your question.

    Your past DUI may indeed prevent your wife from entering Canada. However, since her conviction is over 20 years old, the good news is that she will likely be “deemed rehabilitated” . This means that despite her DUI record and that it would normally render her inadmissible to Canada, the fact that it happened so long ago will enable her to enter.
    However, it is essential that when crossing into Canada she provide her official DUI record clearly showing when the offence took place. To be extra cautious, since your trip is in the summer, she could apply for a Criminal Rehabilitation Certificate at the Canadian Consulate. This way when she crosses into Canada, she will have no issues entering Canada.

    For more information about entering Canada with a DUI visit our webpage on the topic. For more information about Criminal Rehabilitation applications we did a blog about this topic as well.

    I hope this helps

    Michael Niren - Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Answer Question